Youth Frontiers talk to eighth graders about courage

Youth Frontier Leaders who discussed courage among the eighth graders
On February 21, Youth Frontiers, a nonprofit organization, came to the Discovery Center, located in Maple Plain, to talk to the Orono Middle School eighth graders, play some games, but mostly to talk about courage and how you can be courageous around the school.

According to Youthfrontiers.org, they are an organization that partners with schools to build positive communities where students thrive socially, emotionally and academically.

The eighth graders from Orono Middle School were invited to come to the Discovery Center and some seniors from OHS were also invited and the seniors were group leaders for the group process of the day.

The youth frontiers had some games planned such as ‘The Big Jump Rope’, ‘Volleyball’ and ‘Show Me The Money’. After every game, the youth frontier leaders would put on a role play about courage or one of them would talk about a certain example from their childhood where they could have had the courage to stick up for someone, but did not at the time.

After all the games were completed and the youth frontier leaders were done roleplaying, it was time to get serious and share with everyone what the eighth graders will personally do that is courageous at their school.

The activity that consisted of the eighth graders sharing what their personal goals were was called Pebble in the Pond; which is where you walk up in the middle of the circle, put a pebble in a glass bowl filled with water, tell everyone what your act of courage will be and then return to the circle.

‘After hearing some people go up there, I realized that I could have stopped a lot of the bullying in the school and I could stick up for myself. I didn’t realize it could change the feelings of the person being bullied and myself,” said Ashley Swenson, an eighth grader who attend the event.

After the Pebble in a Pond, students had the chance to apologize or talk about the activities. There was some tears involved in the activity as well.

Youth Frontiers talked about courage and is hoping to come back to Orono and perform a wisdom inspirational program for the seniors at the OHS.

Ashlei Crandall is the Arts and Entertainment Editor for The Spartan Speaks.