Seniors catch a glimpse of teachers’ lives as Teaching Assistants

Second semester is already in full swing and some seniors have taken advantage of the opportunity to switch up their schedules by taking on the role of Teacher’s Assistant (T.A.). Seniors who are on track to successfully completed all necessary credits and have the approval of the teacher, are able to spend a period in a classroom, helping out the teacher and occasionally preparing a lesson or giving a presentation.

“I have always wanted to be a T.A. since I was a freshman because it seemed like a fun thing to do,” said senior Macie Babo. Babo enjoyed Mr. Erickson’s class so much during first semester she decided to choose Leadership as her T.A. assignment. “Mr. Erickson is an awesome teacher and I knew it would be fun to TA for him!” said Babo.

T.A.’s have varying roles based on the classes they choose. Science T.A.’s often help set up labs and assist students in experiments. T.A.’s that choose a class in the humanities such as English or Social Studies will give the occasional presentation, and in general, teaching assistants perform helpful tasks for the teachers such as grading tests, putting packets together and organizing activities. “I  have passed out scissors, taken attendance, put the pictures up in the display case, and I will also help grade homework and tests,” said Babo of her role in Erickson’s class.

Andrea Conover is the News Editor for The Spartan Speaks.