Students compare conflicting views on Valentine’s Day

Graphic/ Taylor Peterson
Graphic/ Taylor Peterson
Graphic/ Taylor Peterson

The day of stress, waste and expense; give it up for Valentine’s Day

I simply despise Valentine’s Day. The fact that people need a hallmark holiday to show affection to those in their lives is insulting and pathetic. Why can’t we just show the people that we love them through little things everyday, versus a blowout of roses, candy and jewelry, which of course are expected by women these days. Men should not be put up to that much stress and planning. It should be something that a person does simply because they want to; not just because of the view of society and the stress put on from the female population.

Apparently, there is a price on love. Men spend almost twice as much on Valentine’s Day than women do. Men spend an average of $156 compared to women who spend $85, keep in mind that this was from 2007. This seems to have a slight double standard when women expect so much from their men on this holiday, when in turn, they spend half. Speaking of money, dinner is an obvious standard. However, for most places it will be impossible to even have a reservation, but if you do the service is average at best. Plus, the menu is overpriced.

Looking at Valentine’s Day through a present-day perspective is increasingly devastating in comparison. In the two week period leading up to Valentine’s Day, American sales of gold jewelry lead to 34 million metric tons of waste. Roses are also a large part of this so called precious day. The vast majority of roses sold in the US are imported from South America, which are wasting a ridiculously high amount of fossil fuels, not so precious after all. Oh, and by the way, nearly 15 percent of women will send themselves flowers for Valentine’s Day.

Valentine’s Day certainly makes single people feel terrible. If a person does not have a quote on quote thing at least, most people can be found spending time watching television and indulging themselves with chocolate. For those single on Valentine’s Day, remember that you guys can pull out a hang out sesh. You love your friend and want to show them that you care, but not in that “I want to slobber all over your face” kind of way.

Surprisingly, there will be an increase in public display of affection. Believe it or not, I really do not want to see you stick your tongue down another person’s throat on my way to class. To men and women who do this in public, I am begging you, please, just stop. I understand showing affection, but limit this to holding hands and giving hugs.

Not only can we limit the excessive public displays of affection during this day, but we need to limit the unnecessary high level of candy and heart shaped boxes, which will flood the arms of all taken women. More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine’s Day and over one billion dollars worth of chocolate will be sold. Let us not forget that 67 percent of Americans are overweight or obese. Buying chocolate will most definitely help to curtail this current epidemic, not. However, if one is planning to buy candy for his or her sweetheart, do not buy the candy hearts; they taste like chalk. Plus, those little sayings, “Be Mine” and “Love”, how about you say those things to my face and mean them, versus just giving me it in a sugary heart shaped candy and have that come across in the way that you truly feel. Believe it or not, that would, indeed, mean more to a girl.

Red and pink have got to be considered the worst color combination ever. It just does not make sense to have a matching color scheme within the same hue. Each color has its own symbolism and meaning, but these can change depending on country and culture. Pink is considered the color to show childish innocence. Red is considered the color which gives off strong emotions. These emotions can show love and infatuation, but also represent danger and aggression. Both of these colors show strong connections to females. What don’t we choose a male and female color to represent the day, for we are discriminating against the men in color form of this day.

Remember that it is not just all about what you buy. Show your baby, darling, sweetheart, or whatever cute nickname you have created for your partner, that you love them and continue to do it throughout the year. So here’s to Feb. 14, an unnecessary, hallmark holiday.

Taylor Peterson is the Editor in Chief for The Spartan Speaks.

A day to celebrate love

A box of chocolates, a dozen roses and a day made for celebrating love. You guessed it, Valentine’s Day. As a huge fan of this day, I love the excitement and the unpredictable, grandiose gestures that many show for their loved ones. It’s the little things that keep it cute, yet simple. The Crush sales at Orono High School this year were exactly what people were looking for. You got the opportunity to write a sweet message and give an old school bottle of Crush to your crush. A classic glass bottle just pitches that vision of poodle skirts and soda fountains. Grease moment, but c’mon you know you love those Danny and Sandy musical numbers.

Like the movie aptly named Valentine’s Day, your day could end in absolute bliss, or crash and burn faster than a roller coaster into a campfire. Obviously, girls with boyfriends are going to be a little more amped up than those who have a pint of Ben and Jerry’s ready to go. I hope that means that those people aren’t moping around all day through the halls, because you can have fun on Valentine’s Day single, or taken.

Moral of this little story is that although I love Valentine’s Day, I am not a sappy, weak in the knees and in excessive need of diamonds kind of gal. All that matters is that you enjoy the company of your loved ones, and you celebrate. To all the men reading this article, yes chocolate, flowers, teddy bears, and jewelry does make Valentine’s Day a little more exciting and memorable. Just a word to the wise.

Mackenzie Iversen is the Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.