Death of a saint brings upon romantic holiday

Roses, hearts, and chocolates galore. Valentines day is rapidly approaching and for all you sweethearts out there, is a day much anticipate. Although it is a widely celebrated holiday all around the world, many people aren’t aware of the origin of how Valentine’s Day came to be. Though it’s nearly impossible to track down the actual history of the day, there are many

Though this may come as a shock, Valentine’s Day is a rather religious holiday. It derives from a Christian saint known as Valentinus. He was a priest in third century Rome who performed illegal marriages for young men and women in love.

According to History Channel, marriage was outlawed when Emperor Claudius II came to the conclusion that young men performed better in war than those who were married. Valentinus didn’t believe in this injustice and would marry young lovers in secret. He was eventually caught and sent to prison, where he continued to fall in love with his jailor’s daughter. He would send her a “valentine” greeting, always signing them “from your Valentine”.

Though the truth behind the origin of Valentine’s day is unclear, the stories all emphasize Saint Valentine as being a heroic and romantic figure. He’s become a very popular saint in England and France, and one of the most unrecognized saints to date.

Valentinus died on February 14, 269 A.D., hence the reason Valentine’s Day falls on this specific winter day.

Anna Anderson is the News Editor for The Spartan Speaks.