AP Calc BC class initiates Special Olympics and End the R-word campaign

Photo/ Maddie Mayhew

During Spartan Hour on Wednesday, Feb. 4, students from math teacher Michelle Swenson’s AP Calculus BC class held a pepfest for their upcoming fundraising campaign for the Special Olympics and End the R-word. Students congregated in the gym to learn more about the project. The class will be collecting pledges for two teams of teachers to do the Polar Plunge in March. Each teacher needs at least $100 to jump. However, students can give more money to support a team or teacher, because the winning team will have the opportunity to choose the costumes for the losing team to plunge in. There will also be opportunities for students to pledge to stop using the R-word as a derogatory term and sign the support banner.

Besides introducing the fundraiser, the group also introduced the first ever Orono Unified Basketball team, coached by senior Tommy Gander-Ostrom and junior Kevin Wall, featuring several players from the Special Education program. The event also featured speeches from seniors Abbey Saville and Madeline Wagner, a speech by Special Olympics athlete and advocate Abby Hersh, and a rap by senior Justin Hammer.

Maddie Mayhew is the Editor in Chief – Online for The Spartan Speaks.
[email protected]

Related: