Chamber Winds brings music to the community

Unknown to many within the Orono community exists a group of skilled players called Chamber Winds. Directed by Tim Arnold, OHS band director, the group consists of about 20 players taken from Wind Ensemble, the top band at Orono.

Chamber winds is a group designed to provide an additional and singular experience for players that want an extra challenge. The young musicians grow musically by playing music above their normal difficulty level in a small group. OHS junior Grace Knudsen said she thinks that chamber winds is “a great experience because [she] love[s] the people in it and it provides her with a challenging environment.”

Chamber Winds practices weekly, with rehearsals starting as early as 6:45 in the morning on Friday mornings. OHS sophomore Allie Hartlein has said that the practice schedule, “is not ideal, but we really have no other options because band kids are very involved in extracurriculars that meet after school.”

All of their early-morning work goes into several performances throughout the year. On Monday, December 10, Chamber Winds played alongside the Orono jazz ensemble and several small ensembles. The group played “Old Wine in New Bottles,” written by Gordon Jacob in 1958. Arnold noted that, “it’s hard to pick music because there’s not a lot written for chamber winds. We mainly play stuff by major composers.”

Chamber Winds will also play in the annual Orono Pops concert in March. Last year, the group performed a song entitled “Silhouette.”

Additionally, chamber winds will be traveling to Italy along with the Orono tour band. Historically, chamber winds has not played on the band tour, but this year they will be performing Mozart’s “Serenade in B-flat” in three concerts taking place in churches built as long ago as 1290.

The group of Orono students that includes the chamber winds participants will be traveling to cities such as Verona, Venice, and Rome, among others. Arnold says that the opportunity to perform in such historical locations is “pretty cool.”

Parker Roth, Orono sophomore and chamber winds saxophone player, says that performing on the tour is, “a way for [them] to grow as musicians as well as expose [themselves] further to everything Italy has to offer.”

Through all of the rehearsals and performances, members of chamber winds find it a valuable experience in many ways. Hartlein accredits the group with “[improving] both my technique and musicality.

Chamber winds is present locally in other schools as well. Arnold told about chamber winds programs at Eden Prairie High School, Roseville High School, and Edina High School.

Students, if they so wished, would also have the opportunity to further themselves in the world of chamber music within Minnesota. Although concerts are cancelled through February 8 due to contract issues, the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, located right here within the Twin Cities, is a place where students can go to appreciate other chamber music similar to what they play.

There is also a Chamber Music Institute music camp for students in Ely, Minnesota. The camp runs from Aug. 18-25 and features instructors that are both members of the Minnesota Orchestra and faculty at many locally renowned universities such as the University of Wisconsin- Madison.

However, students can get their own taste of chamber music right here in Orono through chamber winds. The group continues to grow both in musical ability and size. Arnold said, “It’s not hard to find people to play. Kids want to play.”

Grace Koehl is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks.