Society causes internal clash

Our society today has many expectations. Expectations are ridiculous and not important to the overall aspect of life.

What you wear, how you do your hair, if you are skinny, if you are not; all of these things are not important to a person’s morals and overall self.

Many employers base part of their decision on whether or not a person “looks right.”

If you do not have the perfect nose or pretty eyes, you could be turned down from a job simply because the employer knows that if they hire a person who doesn’t have the “right look” their business may be affected.

Society has whispered in our ears over and over: “Be skinny.”

Being obese or even slightly overweight is looked down upon not because it affects health, but because it is unattractive.

When was the last time you saw an overweight person in an advertisement? Never.

According to our society, not only do looks matter greatly, but wealth plays a huge factor in greatness.

If you are poor, well…that is just not cool. Being rich is the way to go! But, not all people have the ability to make as much money as others. In fact, it is a very difficult task to be considered “wealthy.”

However, companies target the people with more money and advertise with people who appear to be “rich.”

Why has society come to these conclusions? Why do people think they are better than others just because they have great looks and a lot of money?

For example, Albert Einstein was not the most attractive looking character. However, he happens to be one of the most important people in the development of science.

Society just needs to realize that the importance in life is not what you have or how you look. It’s how you act and what’s on the inside. I know that sounds a bit cliché…but trust me, it’s true.

Names are not released in Staff Editorials.