Winter weather causes hazards for inexperienced drivers

The dangers of winter driving are most implicit for inexperienced, teenage drivers.

In light of the impending frigid weather something on the minds of Minnesota drivers, both young and old, is driving. Icy roads, chilly winds and blinding snowfalls are just a few of the dangers that drivers face from late November through early March.

“I hate driving in winter, or really any bad weather. It stresses me out,” said senior Taylor Andersen-Beaver. Teens who have only had their licenses for at most a year or two, are one of the largest demographics for winter-related car accidents.

“Kids think they need to rush to be at school on time, but one of the biggest driving hazards is people driving too fast or recklessly,” said chemistry teacher Elliot Tyler. “Turning off of County Road 6 between 7:30 and 7:50 a.m. is a dangerous time.”

Glare ice, also known as black ice, is one of the worst winter hazards. According to Edmunds.com, if the road looks slick, it probably is. “[Glare ice] is the most dangerous, because there’s not much you can do about it,” said Tyler.

There are many safety precautions people can take to prepare a car for the winter weather. “Snow tires provide good traction, and it’s really important to make sure your tires are properly inflated,” said Tyler. It is also important to make sure that the car’s brakes are well-maintained and the heating and cooling system is in check.

Parents often nag their kids about driving cautiously, especially in the winter. According to the Road Weather Management Program, there were over 1,500,000 weather-related crashes in the last year.

“My parents don’t really have any rules, they just want me to use common sense,” said junior Tommy Sellers.

One of the most important things one can do to stay safe in the winter weather is to make sure they drive slowly and that they are aware of their surroundings. Everyone should keep essentials in their car like blankets and flashlights on the chance that they get stuck in a car without power.

Andrea Conover is the News Editor for The Spartan Speaks.