Long Lake Rowing Club has success at Head of Charles Regatta

Six OHS students represented the Long Lake Rowing Club at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, MA on October 21.  Along with OHS students, seniors Adam Bergh, Erin Briggs and Will Thompson, junior Maya Gardiner, sophomore Mac Bendickson, and freshman Brayden Cadwallader, the LLRC sent three additional Juniors to compete in the boys 4x and the girls 4x races.

LLRC had three Junior crews competing in the regatta.  The crews consisted of a girls 2x double sculls, a boys 4x quad, and a girls 4x quad.

Briggs and Gardiner competed in the 2x double sculls against teams that compete at the national level and have rowed for the junior national team.  The duo finished 16 of 39.  Their time of 21:43 was one minute behind the national double team.

“The Head of the Charles Regatta was an overwelming and exciting experience that was the chance of a lifetime” said Gardiner.

The crew of Bergh, Thompson, Bendickson, and Jack Holden, coxed by Cadwallader, finished 68 of 85 teams.  The boys raced in a 4x quad with Cadwallader at coxswain.

The third crew, consisting of four rowers and one coxswain finished 53 of 85 in the girls 4x.  The roster combined two LLRC Juniors, Grace Beck and Sarah Hurley, with other girls from the Minnesota Boat Club and the Rochester Rowing Club.

The LLRC is in its first year as a rowing club and began practicing on Long Lake this spring.  The club has done exceptionally well for a team that started rowing a little over six months ago.

The LLRC has competed in several other regattas this summer and fall, ranging from Kenora, Ontario to Duluth, MN to Des Moines, IA.

Margeaux Dittrich is the Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Spartan Speaks.