Jeff Weiland: “The…best thing is coaching.”

For the past ten years Jeff Weiland has been the head coach for the Orono Spartans varsity football team. He has also taught American Government to the entire freshmen class. Teaching and coaching go hand in hand for Weiland.

As a child and teenager Weiland’s greatest love in life was playing sports. “Once you can’t play anymore because you’re unable, the next best thing is coaching,” said Weiland.

Occasionally teachers begin teaching and then decide coaching would be an additional activity to add to their schedule. Weiland knew he wanted to coach. “I guess you could say I started backwards,” said Weiland who got his coaching degree while in school for his social studies degree.

Adding a coaching aspect to his resume was the easiest way Weiland found to becoming a teacher. “Coaching is teaching. Instead of teaching about the government I’m teaching (the guys) plays,” said Weiland.

For Weiland high school football is the only “pure” level these days, and any higher level he feels the coaches are only in it for the money. High school football is still teaching and developing players. Those reasons alone make high school football the only place Weiland wants to coach.

When it comes to the Friday night lights and getting his players ready for games Weiland feels coaching is as much a personal game for him as for the whole team. “They earn the wins, but when we lose I feel responsible. As if I didn’t prepare them well enough for the competition,” said Weiland.

Madi Arends is the Layout Editor for The Spartan Speaks.
[email protected]