Orono Girls Swim and Dive takes advantage of new talents

After graduating three seniors, the Orono girls swim and dive team is in a rebuilding year.  The team welcomed an influx of young talent with six new additions to the team for the 2012-13 season to complement the returning team members. Led by captains Emilyjohn Connors, Amanda Eberle, Marissa Esterberg, Hannah Lyrek, and Cora McCuskey, the Orono Swim and Dive team consists of 35 seventh to twelfth grade girls. The swim team practices 6 days a week, from 3 to 6 Mondays and Fridays and early morning on Saturdays, and the dive team practices 5 days a week, from 4:30 to 6 Mondays and Fridays and 3 to 5 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The team welcomed a host of young new members this year, and “there are many upcoming talents coming from the 8th graders this year, and all the girls are working very hard to their best to become a strong swimmer and reach their goals,” said Connors.

Swim and dive is scored differently from other team sports. Swimmers compete in various events such as relays and freestyle. The faster they swim, the higher their score. Divers are scored on three different categories: style, technique, and difficulty. They receive a score between one and ten, but “you rarely see anything over a seven,” said McCuskey.

The swim and dive team works together for a final score for placement. However, it is rare that an individual would compete for both teams. The dive team consists of six girls and is captained by McCuskey. “It’s a rare skill set to be graceful and pretty in the air and fast in the water, but it’s been done,” said Esterberg.

The captains make it a point to be involved in their team. “[Marissa Esterberg] gives really funny pep talks and is good at pumping everyone up,” said McCuskey. Captains this year have organized sleepovers, early morning breakfast runs and even outings to Twins games in an effort to bring the team together.

“This year we have kept a positive attitude, and we just accept that we lost some strong swimmers that help bring the team to victory,” said junior team member, Carley Betsch. The team will head to sections on Nov. 8 and if they qualify, will head to state on Nov. 15th.

Andrea Conover is the News Editor for The Spartan Speaks.