Students stress over ACT testing around the state

The evolution of the ACT has changed the competition of college admissions. More than 90 percent of Orono High School students take the ACT by the end of their high school career.

University of Iowa education professor E.F. Lindquist launched what

Prep books open many doors for good scores.
Photo/ Pete Makarov

we know today as the ACT test. The ACT focuses on practical knowledge rather than cognitive reasoning, like the SAT. Lindquist’s assessment was ground-breaking and achieved his goals to help students make better decisions for themselves while enabling colleges to improve student success according to the ACT’s official website. .

There are four sections on the ACT test: English, Math, Reading, and Science Reasoning. There is a writing section on the test also, but it is optional to take. The ACT itself is not an abbreviation for anything. ACT used to stand for “American College Testing” but the name was dropped.

The ACT and SAT are two different tests. The SAT is scored on a scale of 1600 and the ACT is scored on a scale of 36. The SAT tests your cognitive reasoning instead of your practical knowledge like the ACT. In a 2003 study, states ranging from the Idaho to Tennessee area are primarily ACT testers, and states on the west and east coast are SAT testers.

“This is not true today,” said Jill Sabol, Orono High School guidance counselor, “Everyone is taking either the ACT or the SAT. A lot of schools are accepting both.”

The SAT allows students to take subject specific tests, like US history, reading, and other subjects. Students can take both tests, and some colleges like it if they do take both the ACT and SAT.

“I would prefer kids to take the ACT twice and a subject specific test in the SAT,” said OHS Chemistry teacher, Elliot Tyler.

However, the ACT has become more than just a test. “I really didn’t care,” said Mr. Lundquist when asked how he felt when he took the ACT. Today colleges put emphasis on the ACT or SAT to see who will be best for their college.

“It’s not worth stressing for,” said Sabol and Tyler. Becca Young, junior, said, “The test itself is really not that bad. The hard part is not being able to have food and water for four hours.”

Students now are preparing for the test by working with a personal tutor, taking classes, or buying the practice books.

Many American students feel the pressure of the ACT and take risky measures to get a good score. According to a 60 Minutes interview, Sam Eshaghoff made over $2, 500 per test he took for people. “I would just make a fake student I.D. This is one of many test frauds that have become an issue in the past five years.

The ACT may or may not change, but either way it’s important. The next ACT test will be administered on Oct. 24 around the state.

Pete Makarov is the Sports Editor for The Spartan Speaks

[email protected]