Small businesses compete for local customers

Maple Plain Family Center is a small business competing for local clients. Photo/ Madi Arends

Customer service is key in running a small business in Orono.

For a mid-sized community like Orono, keeping a small business open creates advantages for its people.

“The money stays in the town and stays close; it cycles through instead of being shipped to a corporate in another state. Small businesses are the nucleus of our town and without local support they go away,” said Keith Jurek, marketing teacher.

Small businesses employ students in the community. “They hope to give back to their community by giving younger students a job to learn responsibility,” said Joe Raecraft, former owner of MPFC. In fact, at least ten Orono students turn to the local grocery store, MPFC, for employment.“We love working with students,” said Raecraft. Raecraft hires students at MPFC to teach them responsibility and to “mold and show [them] what work is all about.”

When small businesses are compared to larger businesses such as Lunds, MPFC’s prices on comparable items were slightly higher. On a survey of 10 identical items, prices at Lunds were 80 percent lower by margin of 45 cents.

Hundreds of large grocery stores have been established around Minnesota. MPFC is one that has stayed in business, despite shoppers making the switch to the one-stop-shop grocery stores such as Lunds and Target. Citizens of Steam Boat, Colo. protested against having a Wal-Mart and Target put in their town to keep their small family business open.

Jurek chooses to invest in the small businesses because, “the money stays in town,” and “creates a circle that keeps the community together.”

“Lunds has a larger selection than a small mom-and-pop shop would. I also think the prices are lower,” said Karen Miller, a shopper at big businesses.

Small businesses compete to draw customers into their stores. “One-on-one [service] is the most important thing. If we can get out there and interact with our customers, we can create a bond with them to have them return again and again,” said Raycraft. MPFC also attracts customers by placing weekly ads in the local newspapers, having competitive prices, and providing excellent customer service.

Starbucks Coffee is another store known for their customer service. “[We] are known for creating 3rd place, high quality customer service. We get to know our customers by their drinks and names,” said employee Ann Sunn.

MADI ARENDS is the Layout Editor for The Spartan Speaks

[email protected]

Maple Plain Family Center is a small business competing for local clients.
Photo/ Madi Arends