Women’s rights are human rights

Every day, all over the world, women face gender persecution. This includes genital mutilation, sexual slavery, forced prostitution and domestic violence. At least one out of every three women worldwide have been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused in her lifetime. It is time to take control of this situation by alerting the public.

During the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing – 1995, more than 100 countries expressed their commitment “to advance the goals of equality, development and peace for all women everywhere in the interest of humanity.” Since the conference, the United Nations has brought this issue to full global awareness.

Other groups that are helping spread equality for women include: Human Rights Watch, National Organization for Women (NOW), Oxfam America and the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee. Most groups are non-profit based. The more money, ideas and people that help, the sooner the end of inequality can be reached on a global scale.

“This is not a small issue, and we need to bring awareness with political leaders and famous people to put this issue into the open,” said English teacher Julie McMerty.

Approximately 400 women and female children have been imprisoned in Afghanistan so far this year from being convicted of zina after being raped or forced into prostitution. Zina, sex outside of marriage, is a crime that is punishable under Afghan law by up to 15 years in prison.

“It makes me sick that women are still suffering like they are,” said Orono community member Rebecca Mann. “You hear about how advanced countries are on the news, but you would think that if countries were so advanced around the world, they would not have problems like human rights.”

Human Rights Watch found that almost half the women in prisons and all the girls in juvenile detention centers had been arrested after they fled a forced marriage or abusive husbands. Some women interviewed by Human Rights Watch had gone to the police in need of help, only to be arrested instead. Almost none of the cases led to an investigation of the abuse, prosecution or punishment.

“I really don’t know if you can change the thought process of a culture because of such deep rooted ways,” said junior Crystal Sutherland.

In a related survey, the United Nations found that nearly one-third of women worldwide agreed that being hit by a husband in an argument is justifiable, and in Mali, 74 percent of women say they believe that it is acceptable to be punished for refusing sex.

“How is it okay to be punished for saying no?” said senior Rachel Micoley. “It is frustrating because women are being beaten, and it can happen anywhere at anytime any place on the globe.”

Iranian women and civil society activists have undertaken numerous campaigns to help repeal discriminatory laws, including the One Million Signatures Campaign, launched in 2006. It seeks to collect signatures to reform discriminatory provisions against women. In response, security forces and judiciary officials have subjected female activists to threats, harassment, interrogations and imprisonment simply for demanding equal rights.

“We are our brother’s keeper,” said McMerty. “What affects one affects all, which is why the United States needs to get involved with an issue like this.”

Once awareness is gained throughout the globe, the power will be granted to bring an end to inequality among men to women. With an end to inequality, a decrease in violence and lack in education will also become closer to being solved.

Taylor Peterson is the Layout Chief for The Spartan Speaks.