Thirteen seniors lead boys varsity hockey team

Senior Sam Persian takes a face off during a game versus Hutchinson. The boys went on to defeat them 8-1.

Shea Noerenberg
Sports Editor

The boys varsity hockey team started off their season with a long road trip to northern Minnesota.  The team faced Lake of the Woods and Warroad before returning home.  The boys fought hard but came home without a win.

Since then, the boys have dominated the rink and hold a seven and five record.  Senior, captain, Ross Luedtke leads the team with 26 points. As well as building a strong team on the ice, they have bonded off ice too. “We are building a lot of team chemistry on and off the ice,” stated senior Matt Peterson.

Peterson played hockey as a young kid but quit to pursue other sports.  He made a return to the game his junior year and has now stepped into the starting varsity goalie position.

Over winter break, the team headed to the Schwan Super Rink in Blaine to participate in the Schwan Cup.  The team won their first game against Sartell, six to three.  They ended their second game with a loss to Mounds View three to two.  The team then took on Northfield and defeated them three to one to bring home the third place trophy.

Now part way through their season, the team has bonded together and played as one team.  “We had a slow start but have been playing very well this year,” stated Luedtke. This year’s team has 13 seniors on their 20 player roster.  Luedtke, Miles Knutson, Dylan Limesand, and Matt Helling captain the team.

The team has very high hopes for the rest of the season and hopes to make it far in the section tournament.  “We are getting better and should make a better run in the section tournament,” explained senior Sam Persian.

After the regular season the team will head to the section tournament and attempt to make it to the state tournament held at the Xcel Energy Center. “Hopefully we’ll keep it up and make a run to the state tournament in March,” stated Luedtke.