Student brings Relay for Life to Orono

Members+of+the+band+If+Eye+May+help+fundraise+for+the+annual+Relay+for+Life.++++Photo%2F+Devin+Johnston+
Members of the band If Eye May help fundraise for the annual Relay for Life. Photo/ Devin Johnston

Senior Katie Serena is bringing the American Cancer Society Relay For Life to Orono High School. The fundraiser was started in the mid-1980s, Dr. Gordy Klatt, a colorectal surgeon from Tacoma, Washington, who wanted to enhance the income of his local American Cancer Society office and to show support for all of his patients who had battled cancer. He decided to personally raise money by doing something he enjoyed – running marathons.

Relay For Life is a life-changing event that gives participants in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost and fight back against the disease.
At the event, teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Because cancer never sleeps, relays are overnight events up to 24 hours in length. Relayers do not have to walk all night, but each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event.

Until this year, Orono has never planned to participate in the relay. Orono senior Katie Serena decided to change that. “I have been passionate about bringing Relay to Orono because it is something that is very close to my heart. In December my mom passed away from cancer. Raising awareness about her disease was extremely important to her, and it has been a great experience to continue her work,” said Serena.

“This year has been a tough year for us regarding cancer,” Serena said. “Two seniors, Nick Manzoni and Andrew Lautner were diagnosed with cancer, and while there has been a lot of fundraising and support for them; Relay for Life is just another way to show support,” said Serena.

To prepare for the relay, Serena and her team have been “fundraising like crazy” both independently in teams and with the community. There are some community fundraisers that are especially important for the relay. The kick off was on Mar. 24, and the upcoming event Paint the Town Purple will cover the community with posters and collect donations from local businesses, .

Since it was founded, Relay for Life has raised over 3 billion dollars. In 2010, the Relay raised 405 million dollars. With Orono student, teacher, parent help, the community can help Serena raise the money to show support for not only cancer victims, but survivors as well.

The Relay begins June 15 at Wayzata West Middle School at 6 p.m. Students can join Serena and the rest of her team in a truly inspiring event to show support for her mother, Nick and Andrew. This is an opportunity to not only honor cancer survivors and remember people lost, but also to raise funds and awareness to save lives.

Allie Hirschberg is the Variety Editor for The Spartan Speaks.