Influx of injured students overcrowds elevator

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-LC2ZG1uQ&context=C40cbca5ADvjVQa1PpcFPjrvhe03OJAQbYWkFkCNcSXA_-lELcJ5Q=

While the elevator is considered a last resort for injured students unable to use the stairs, the inefficiencies of the sluggish, rickety transport are becoming a serious annoyance for students. While the slow and inefficient system is bothersome enough, some students have been trapped in the elevator.

The issue stems widely among students. “Most of the injuries are sports injuries,” said Orono Health Clerk Ann Turner. There are between 10 and 12 students using the elevator currently, not including teachers, special education students and friends that tag along with injured students.

“A lot of people hitch rides,” said junior Olivia Gilbertson. This causes extra and unnecessary traffic that further slows progress in between classes. While many of the students require assistance to heave backpacks from floor to floor, there is a limit of one additional student; a limit that is broken all too often.

“It’s just annoying for people who actually are hurt,” said senior Spencer Amstrup. During her time with a sprained ankle, Amstrup had to deal with the elevator between most of her classes. “I missed half of a class once waiting for the line to go through…you should not pack that thing.”

In addition to the extra traffic crowding the elevator, the system the elevator follows is confusing and time-consuming. The elevator key is used to call the elevator to the necessary floor, but it must be turned when the “in use” light is off. If the light is lit up, the elevator will not register the call. During crowded hours, it is difficult to call the elevator because it is in use for the entire passing time.

When the elevator does register a call, all commands made by those riding the elevator are ignored. If the button for the third floor is pressed within the elevator but someone calls it from the basement, regardless of what floor it is on the elevator will always go to the basement first. “There’s no accuracy on where it goes,” said Gilbertson.

Also, the first button pushed in the elevator is the first floor it will go to. If floors three and two are requested in that order and the elevator is on the first floor, the system goes to the third floor without stopping on the second.

The slow speed not only annoys the students, but it also can cause complications for the teacher and the rest of the class. Teachers are delayed from beginning class due to students arriving late from elevator transit, cutting in on valuable learning time. Also, it is not enough for injured students to leave early from class. “I normally leave early, but still get to class late,” said freshman Emily Yondel, “One time I was late for a test, and [sometimes] I am late for notes.”

However, even these complaints can pale in comparison to becoming trapped in the elevator. Junior Hailey Hickey experienced this first hand, and instead of panicking, she responded with annoyance. “I had to call my friend, and she got me out,” said Hickey, “but is was frustrating because I missed 20 minutes when I could be doing something productive.”

The most commonly suggested solution to this problem has been to replace the elevator entirely, the main issue of that being that it would be extremely expensive for the school. To buy a new elevator would cost around $15,000, not including installation and maintenance costs that also average in the thousands.

Maddie Mayhew is the Online Editor for The Spartan Speaks.