High school artists earn scholastic artist awards

“It was an honor,” senior and art enthusiast Ozzie Secundino said upon receiving a Silver Key and two honorable mentions by The Alliance for Young Artists.

Secundino was not the only one to receive an award; however, junior Piper Cashman also was awarded an honorable mention. “It felt great,” said Cashman.

Both award winners have always had a passion for art “I’ve always been really artsy,” said Cashman.

“I’ve been into the arts, all different forms, since I was six,” Secundino said, “It’s always been a part of my life.” The Orono School District has helped Cashman and Secundino to achieve their dreams. “I have learned so much, and it has challenged me,” said Ozzie.

Secundino won three Scholastic Art Awards for his paintings, which are a part of his collection entitled Back to Basics. “Back to Basics features abstract paintings,” said Secundino, “It is a series of simple line paintings that are a part of my life. I take simple objects or memories and add my imagination into them.”

Secundino works with all mediums, especially mixed media and paint. “I won awards for my mixed media art last year, and this year I wanted to try something different.” Trying something new paid off. Ozzie has an independent art class period where he spends time working on his portfolio for college applications. One time, Ozzie even painted an entire painting in the dark.

“I like mixed media because it lets me be super creative,” said Cashman, “I wasn’t really sure what I was getting into when Ms. Hudgins told me that I should enter this competition but now I know that it is such a big deal.”

Both artists recognized the help that they get here at Orono. “They are both very talented artists,” said OHS art teacher Jane Hudgins. “Ozzie is such a mature artist… He really knows what he is doing,” said Hudgins “On the other hand… Piper is still experimenting… I am excited to see what she becomes.”

“Ozzie uses bright colors and uses his black paint to make it wonderful. Piper used a skate-board like piece of wood to set off her paintings. They were very detailed [and] she added wire to make it look more rustic” said Hudgins

Cashman wants to continue experimenting with art and work on all of her pieces.

As for Secundino, he will be attending the Art Institute of Chicago with a scholarship. “It was a big deal to be given that scholarship,” stated Hudgins, “I told him to go.”

“I am so excited, words can’t even explain,” was all Secundino could say.

Jack Ellis is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks