Orono has real taste; in music that is

Rock, electric, classical and acoustic; these are the broad ranges of music that teens listen to when they flip on the radio or pull out their ipods. Music is a very popular past time to teens in this day and age, invoking in us passions and mental stimulation.

Not only does music make one dance around like a fool in their underwear, or sing like crazy people while taking a shower, but it creates a sort of power and confidence that is not understandable to many. Music can bring some to tears and, occasionally, bring two different groups from different backgrounds to band together as a whole.

I found, as a student, that Orono is a very musically involved school. That many or most of the students carry around ipods, or music based phones. Many kids even have headphones plugged into their ears within the five short minutes between classes.

So what kind of music are the typical  Orono kid listening to? Well the easiest answer to that question would be any kind and every kind imaginable. However, the music genre currently making the biggest impact on the Orono teen population is dubstep.

“Dubstep all the way,” said senior Brooke Harrington. “It’s so fun to just dance really crazy and not care how crazy you look, that’s what dubstep permits.”

Futurednb.net explained dubstep as, “A genre of electronic dance music that originated in south London, England. Its overall sound has been described as tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals.”

The most popular dubstep artists that are extensively listen to by a multitude of Orono’s students would be Skrillix, Deadmau5, Basshunter and Rusko.

Not only is dubstep rising into a hot new fad, but indie and classic rock oldie music in Orono has consistently been the hot fad of orono kids since way back when.

“A good Indie song has to have good lyrics, and  interesting rhythms and (guitar) riffs,” said senior Devin Johnston

Indie and rock music has been a very popular music type for all teens since the mid 1900’s. Our parents no doubt listened to some great bands back in the so called “hippie days.” Some great, current  indie/classic rock bands include Foster the People, Bon Iver, Cloud Cult, and Yuck.

I found myself talking to Hadley Patton. A sophomore at Orono. She told me that, “Many of my friends have great tastes in music. In face many Orono people I know have great tastes in what they listen to.”

I also asked her what kinds of qualities might a you find in a good song, what makes you buy it. She said, “A great song of this generation has got to have soul. It’s got to captivate make you feel something. It doesn’t only have to be a good voice or instrumentally brilliant, but it has to inspire.”

Sidney Fairbrother is the Visuals Editor for The Spartan Speaks.