Garden Club Springs Into Action

Libby Engebretson

Mrs. Herring, Juliana Ward, and Mikayla Burns are getting ready in room 216 for the annual start of Garden Club.

Starting the week of April 12th, Garden Club presidents Mikayla Burns and Ronan Banavige are excited to begin the club’s third consecutive year. This opportunity will be enforced with strict COVID-19 guidelines, as any traditional club this year would follow.

“It’s a great way to get involved and socialize with a variety of students,” Burns said.

Students in Garden Club have the opportunity to learn about and grow a variety of plants including flowers, cacti, succulents, fruits and vegetables. Burns said people should join because it doesn’t take up much time and it brings people joy.

“We plant seeds and watch them grow for fun. That’s it,” Burns said.

Banavige came up with the idea in 2018 when English teacher Kyle Herring was talking to his class about her love of gardening. “We should have a club!” he declared. Herring said she thought he was kidding, and only realized he was serious when he brought the idea to her again a week later. Herring agreed to supervise and Banavige and Burns have led the club ever since.

“We get to plant all kinds of stuff, and when the school year is almost over, students get to bring them home,” Banavige.

What began with students planting seeds and putting them in a windowsill now includes a dedicated space in Herring’s room with LED lights to help the seedlings start indoors. Despite the origins of Garden Club being a relaxed “passion project,” it gained official club status and had 25-plus students involved last school year, though the season was cut short due to the Coronavirus.

“It’s super fun and the cost of entry is really low, so I would definitely recommend joining,” Banavige said.

To join Garden Club, there is a $5 entrance fee that covers the costs of purchasing seed packets, seed-starting mix, seedling trays, fertilizer and the specialty lights. In late May, students will be able to take home their six plant seedlings that they can then transplant into larger pots or a garden.

“It’s so fun because students will come back in the fall and tell me about their tomatoes or watermelons sprouting all summer long, and they are so excited about it,” Herring said. “I love that.”