Mr. Orono pageant – a lesson in respect

The National Honor Society’s “Mr. Orono” event has always been a popular event among the students. This year, however, what started out to be a funny and entertaining show turned into something one might find more appropriate on late-night MTV, as opposed to the high school gym.

The first stage of the competition involved the contestants crafting a clever pick-up line. The second was a similar activity to the show “Who’s Line is it Anyway?”

During these first two rounds, several of the contestants made snide, sexual and crude remarks that were inappropriate for the school setting. Although students found these comments to be “funny,” they made many at the event feel uncomfortable.

At the end of the hour, three judges were to evaluate the performance of each contestant. The judges’ votes, combined with the votes from the student audience members, would have decided which contestants would continue on to the final round on Friday. However, the Mr. Orono event never got that far.

After concerns raised from staff members and parents, the second half of Mr. Orono was cancelled. Once informed of the decision, the students involved in the competition wanted to make a public announcement. Senior and Mr. Orono contestant Joey Bacon made the public address to OHS. He apologized on behalf of NHS and the other contestants, and explained why the second part of the competition was cancelled.

English teacher and NHS adviser Jessica Frie stated, “I am hoping that [NHS] can come up with another event for the spring that will be just as profitable for us, as well as school-appropriate.”

Regardless of the uncomfortable situation, students, parents and staff know that the 12 contestants are still the same honorable young men they were prior to the event. Honorable young men who had the courage to admit mistakes, apologize, and lead by example, which is truly what the event was all about.

Amie Tunheim is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks