On turning 18

At 18, a lot of things change. You are legally considered an adult and are entitled to make your own decisions. You can have a credit card, gamble, go to jail, drive with fewer restrictions, own property, get married, serve in the military, get tattoos and smoke tobacco. It is exciting to turn 18, without a doubt, but before you try out any of your shiny, new rights, make sure it is something you actually want to get into.

Gambling, an industry that has multiplied fiscally by ten since the seventies, is an addicting and dangerous activity that around 76 percent of 18 year-olds participate in each year. A majority of these 18 year old gamblers are casual social gamblers, but continuing to gamble often can turn it into an addiction.  An estimated 15 million people show signs of pathological gambling, which has many serious consequences.

On average, those addicted to gambling have a doubled chance of being in a divorce and are 22 more times likely to commit suicide than non-gamblers.

In the United States, the average debt incurred by a pathological male gambler is $70,000. The average debt by a female of the same ailment is $15,000. In addition, 65 percent of pathological gamblers end up having to commit crimes to fund their new “lifestyle.”

Smoking is another activity that becomes legal at 18. In America, an alarming 20 percent of all teens smoke, despite all the negative consequences. Teens who smoke are three times more likely to drink, eight times more likely to smoke marijuana and 22 times more likely to use cocaine. Even though one in every five deaths in the United States is caused by tobacco use, tobacco remains legal because it is both addicting and profitable.

The tobacco industry, which is worth more than $400 billion, is one of the most profitable industries in the world.

Driving with fewer restrictions may seem like a benefit for all, but in reality it is a privilege that should be used with caution. According to the National Safety Council, nighttime crashes happen frequently because there is lower visibility, fatigue and a higher chance of intoxication. In 1996 there were no driving restrictions whatsoever and in 2005 the restrictions were imposed upon United States citizens. That year, a 17 percent decrease of fatal crashes and 16 percent decrease of non-fatal crashes was observed for 18 year olds driving from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. So before you hit the road at 2:30 in the morning, make sure you are safe, sober and alert.

Now do not think we are trying to spoil any 18th birthdays – we are merely trying to bring to light the often glazed over realities of turning 18. So blow out your candles, eat some cake and have fun. But remember, adulthood comes with responsibility, so plan ahead and be safe. Oh, and happy birthday, everyone!

Talia Zadeh is Edior-in-Chief for The Spartan Speaks.