Boy’s basketball hopes to repeat last season’s success

Last year the Orono boys basketball team won their first ever state title. This year, they are hoping to take another shot at the title despite the loss of some key players.

Coach Barry Wohler stated, “This year we have the confidence from winning in the past, and the players have been practicing during the off season.” Coach Wohler also stated he is excited to see what the new group will bring to the team, and who will fill which roles.

The team captains this year are seniors Brady Wohler, Anthonie Tholey, Conor Borgert and Mitchel Horner.

Schoen believes that even though the team may not be as athletic as last year, they should be more improved and be able to move the ball around. Schoen also thinks that they will learn and grow as a team and will be a tough match up for other teams. “We will be a better shooting team, and be able to spread our opposing defense out.” stated Schoen.

Junior Justin Hammer feels they have a strong team that will do well together, and get better throughout the season. “We will defend our title as best we can,” stated Hammer.

B. Wohler received class AAA preseason all state title this year. Also, last year he lead the team in scoring in the state championship game against Columbia Heights with 23 points.

B. Wohler feels this year their biggest strength is quickness, so they can get out and run the ball down the court to shoot. “I think we can be as good as last year, but when you lose that many guys it can be tough.” B. Wohler stated. He is enthusiastic to see what their team will be able to do and how far they will be able to go.

“Orono’s always kind of been a hockey town, but I feel like after this, we can maybe get some basketball pride here,,” B. Wohler said. “It’s great that we can share this experience.”

The team’s first game was on Friday, Dec. 2 against St. Michael -Albertville at home. Orono ended up losing their game on Friday by two points with a final score of 56-58. Wohler was the leading scorer with a total of 23 points. Horner had the second most points with eight points, and Borgert and Tholey each had six points.

Jenna Golden is the Advertising Editor for The Spartan Speaks