The Holidazzle parade amps up holiday spirit

When choosing fun and festive activities during the winter, students often head to Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis to view the  magnificent Holidazzle Parade, which features illuminated floats with many whimsical characters.

This parade has it all from lights to music and fun for all ages. The Holidazzle parade is celebrating  its twentieth season this year, as it began in 1992.

The winter parade runs Thursday through Sunday nights from Thanksgiving through Dec. 18. The 30-minute parade wraps around Nicollet Mall and is sure to brighten up spectators’ nights and warm their hearts. The parade is a free event open to the public, and parade participants are the volunteers who dedicate their time to put on a show.

There are many options you can choose from in order to view the parade ranging from braving the cold and sitting curbside, enjoying a hot chocolate inside the skyway, savoring a gourmet meal while sitting in the warmth of one of the many restaurants that line Nicollet or sitting in the Target Hot Seats which offer a heated tent.

You can expect to see twelve, illuminated storybook floats. Each float features a fairytale theme including Peter Pan with Captain Hook and the Alligator, Princess and the Pea, The Wizard of Oz and many more. Many floats feature costumed character that walk beside them. The Wizard of Oz float has the Wicked Witch riding a bicycle and she sticks out her tongue at the crowd, Dorothy follows with her ruby red slippers that light up and she carries Toto in a picnic basket.

The floats are each loaded with 100 pounds of lights, which creates a spectacle for the bystanders. To further enhance the festive mood, each float plays a theme song.  Parade-goers will also see hundreds of whimsical characters like 8-foot tall inflatable light bulbs, Little Red Riding Hood along with the Big Bad Wolf and lighted mobile soldiers that spin in circles.

To make the parade more festive, holiday music is provided by local bands and holiday choirs. Also, each night a different Grand Marshall or a local news anchor, radio host or celebrity will ride on a float.

Santa with his team of reindeer closes the parade as the last float. Kids are delighted as Santa waved and wished them a Merry Christmas.

Each year over 300,000 spectators will line the curb to view this wonderful parade. The seasonably warm
temperatures this year have increased attendance. Last year, the attendance rate was down due to the cold weather.
The parade has only been canceled ten times when the wind chill dipped below -25 degrees.

The Holidazzle has been a perfect tradition to celebrate the season. It’s not the warmest activity in Minnesota, but it has proved to be a must see parade for all ages. Bundling up with your family and friends and heading downtown to the Holidazzle parade is a popular option to let the holiday spirit come alive.

Tori Palm is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks