Filed under Features and Clubs

5 (easy) ways to reduce your carbon footprint

Becoming+eco+friendly+is+often+much+easier+than+you+think+it+is.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Becoming eco friendly is often much easier than you think it is.

Claire Suchy 

Copy Editor 

Being as earth-friendly as possible can be, well let’s face it, exhausting. Often times when attempts to be greener are made they are radical, such as producing absolutely no waste or eliminating cars from our everyday lives. Though these strides are valid, it’s very difficult for most people to do them. From taking better care of your car to having a programmable thermostat, there are sustainable and much simpler ways to reduce your carbon footprint. Here are some simple first steps to start reducing your carbon emissions.

The first of these ways is the aforementioned better maintenance of your car. Your car can have a 30 percent difference in miles per gallon due to driving habits alone, according to Carbon Fund. To decrease this difference, simply drive better: accelerate smoother, anticipate stops, drive the speed limit and maintain a steady speed. By taking these steps, you can potentially increase your car’s fuel efficiency by 4 percent.

“I have never gotten a car wash or tune up the entire time I’ve had my car, which is a year and a half,” junior Margaret Kraus said, “I knew that being good with your driving habits could help increase how efficient your car is, but I never knew just how much.”

The second way that you can reduce your carbon footprint which is both simple and sustainable is reducing your food waste. Approximately 25 percent of all food in the United States is thrown out, which ultimately produces methane when put into landfills. Though this may seem daunting at first, planning meals ahead of time and saving the leftovers is not only earth friendly, but cost effective.

The third way is to stop shopping at fast fashion stores such as Forever 21, Zara, and Topshop. These stores have poor practices and emit a huge carbon footprint. Buying from sustainable fashion brands is usually expensive, so try buying thrifted clothing or shopping at local boutiques.

After I watched The True Cost and realized not only the environmental effects but also the effect that fast fashion has on humans. Now, I shop more secondhand on stores like Depop or Etsy.”

— Molly Martini

“I used to shop at fast fashion because it’s so easy and cheap,” junior Molly Martini said, “After I watched The True Cost and realized not only the environmental effects but also the effect that fast fashion has on humans. Now, I shop more secondhand on stores like Depop or Etsy.”

The fourth way is to buy a programmable thermostat. These thermostats can be below priced as low as $50 and are an easy way to reduce your carbon footprint. You are able to lower these thermostats  in the winter and raise them in the summer, allowing for less air conditioning.

The fifth and final way that you can easily reduce your carbon footprint is minimizing how many new products you buy. By not buying new, heavily packaged items you can easily reduce waste.

Though beginning to live a greener life often seems frightening, starting in small, sustainable ways allows you to reduce your carbon footprint but not completely turn your life upside down.

About the Writer
Claire Suchy, Copy Editor

Hi , I'm Claire. I am currently at Junior at Orono High School, and this is my second year of Journalism. I'm an editor for the The Spartan Speaks and...