Behind The Scenes of Graduation

Class+of+2019+

Jazmine Borreson

Class of 2019

Jazmine Borreson
Online Visuals Editor

The class of 2019 at Orono High school is getting prepared to move on in their lives, whether it’s to pursue a higher education at college or it’s to set your feet on the ground and get a job to start off your career.

Either way, graduation day is June 6 and is a day that we all look forward to while seniors are surrounded by their peers and loved ones.

From picking up your gown and decorating your grad cap to making sure your parents arrive on time, you’ve worked hard for your graduation ceremony to become a reality.

“I’m so excited to graduate and decorate my cap,” senior Chloe Kaiser said.  

While walking the stage is the most important part of the ceremony, there are plenty of other things to expect. If you’re wondering what happens during a graduation ceremony, we have you covered with all of the traditions that happen on this special day below.

What people don’t know is how much actual preparation, time and money goes with the ceremony happening. The OHS staff spends months planning for this event to make this day one to remember.

At the Orono graduation there are specific traditions that have  taken place in the Orono district for years. Some of which include Principal Amy Steiner leading the ceremony and a panel of teachers selected by the students handing out diplomas.

At graduation, there are a select few students that audition to speak in front of the entire community. The seniors in the process of trying out  to speak were required to write their speech in advance and say it in front of a panel of senior leaders and English teacher Jessica Frie.

After the ceremony, the senior students all are brought to a location for a senior party where they are required to remain the entire night.

The senior party has been successful in the past and students are anticipating to learn where it will be held this year. Normally the seniors get on busses and are taken to their destination for the night. No seniors are allowed to leave but they have many activities to keep the seniors busy!

The senior party is a chance for all the seniors to see or talk to everyone before heading off to their future lives!

“This school has really made an impact on my life!” senior Ozzie Ramsey said.