Orono vs Orono

Orono+Minnesota%2C+Orono%2C+Maine+

Katie Udell

Orono Minnesota, Orono, Maine

Orono High School is thought to be one of a kind, located in the heart of Long Lake and currently the second best high school in the state of Minnesota. Meanwhile, hidden in the shadows awaits another school with the same name, 1,651 miles away in prestigious Penobscot County, Maine.

Minnesota’s, Orono High School was first built in 1949, although in 1968 a new building was constructed for high school students and the original building was converted to an elementary school building. Maine, Orono High School is one of three schools in the Regional School Unit 26, a unit which includes ASA C. Adams School, Orono Middle School, and Orono High School in downtown Orono. Both Orono High School districts are formatted in the same way–their buildings are located within walking distance of each other.

Orono education is incredible and I am very honored to call myself a student

— Anne Marie Ross

The Orono campus allows students to use the facilities to their full potential. Both elementary and middle school students can use the indoor pool for physical education purposes. The pool is located in the elementary school, so middle schoolers have to make the two minute walk across the street. Although the frigid winter weather is not always on their side, the short walking distance between buildings allows students various swimming opportunities.

Orono Maine goes above and beyond with their international program. In the 2017-2018 school year 14 students, from 11 different countries enrolled in their overseas program. International students receive a FREE MacBook Air while they are enrolled at Orono.

Orono strives, due to the fact The University of Maine lies between its city limits. Students who graduate from the international program are automatically accepted into the university with a $12,000 scholarship.

The University of Maine offers a variety of options for Orono students.The University of Maine offers a variety of options to Orono Students, such as the Aspirations Program. Through this program, OHS juniors and seniors who maintain a B average can receive an associate’s degree before they graduate high school. The purpose of this program is to allow students to receive an associate’s degree before they graduate high school.

The student population between the schools vary greatly. Orono Public Schools consists of 2,616 students  district wide, while the Orono School District only has 800 students grades K-12. Minnesota has a higher student to faculty ratio of 21:1, while Maine has a ratio of 12:1.

Both schools are ranked especially well in their states. OHS (MN) is ranked second in Minnesota, according to US News, and OHS (ME) is ranked 10th in the state of Maine, according to Niche.”

“Orono education is incredible and I am very honored to call myself a student,” junior Anne Marie Ross said.

Students’ high test scores has put the Orono Spartans on the map.  According to US News, 76 percent of students are proficient in reading and 77 percent are proficient in mathematics. On the other hand Orono falls below with only 52 percent proficient in reading and 56 percent proficient in mathematics.

“Orono students are not afraid to challenge themselves and take accelerated or AP classes. This allows students to go above state expectations,” history teacher Donna Ferber said.

“Both schools can come together in the numerous clubs they offer, like Prom Committee, Spanish Club, Newspaper, Art Club, Math Team, Speech and Debate. Unfortunately, Maine does not offer DECA or Unified, but they do have a knitting club.