School Parking 2017-2018 Update

When it comes to the end of summer many students get anxious about starting high school, for instance how they will get to school. Parking at many high schools can be a challenge for students that plan on driving to school.

According to the Orono parking when it comes to parking registration at Orono high school there is a limited amount of spots for each grade. The first students to sign up for a parking pass receives the best parking spot for their grade.  

At Orono, most seniors wait their 3 long years to finally park in the senior lot. This year, however, the seniors were cut short get to park short due to construction at the school. Which led to seniors having to park in other lots.

Juniors have the opportunity to park in the ice arena parking lot which is a three-minute walk to the school.

“Parking in the ice arena is better than parking in the intermediate but it’s still a hassle,” junior Ozzie Ramsey said.

The sophomores at Orono high school have to park in the intermediate parking lot, which is about a 8-minute walk to school. Which can be a nightmare during the winter when the temperature starts dropping.

“Parking in the intermediate is terrible, it’s a long walk, and terrible in the winter.” junior Emelia Lowe said.

At other schools like Minnetonka parking at school is a little different. Students at Minnetonka grades 10-12 with no outstanding obligations (fees, fines, book returns, equipment/uniform returns, parking tickets, disciplinary issues) and a valid Minnesota driver’s license may apply for a parking permit.

According to the Minnetonka High school website, there are also has limited parking for their students. So the students must apply for a carpool permit which allows two or more licensed drivers to park one car on campus. Permits must be shared and are available to juniors and seniors. Open enrollment students also are expected to apply for a shared permit

“Carpooling at Minnetonka high school is terrible, you have to carpool every day, and if the people you carpool with have activities after school you need to find another ride home.” Minnetonka high school student Whitney Heritage said.

This year at Minnetonka sophomores were no longer eligible for parking permits unless they are in a carpool with upperclassmen.

When it comes to applying for a parking pass at Minnetonka where you park is based on the number of licensed drivers in a carpool. All parking permits will cost $300.