Reaching out and giving back

About 1,500 families come to Interfaith Outreach & Community Partners each year needing help—with rent, car repairs, medical bills, employment, or food. IOCP responds to their immediate need and works with families to build long-term stability.

Interfaith Outreach & Community Partners was started by LaDonna Hoy in 1979 with an outreach project at nine churches. With the support of people, churches, and major organizations, IOPC grew into a incredible place in a matter of only five years.

Emergency services for food, clothing, and financial assistance began in 1981. Struggling singles, couples, and families could come to IOCP and receive help with money and expenses, finding clothes, and visiting the food shelf.

In 2010 and continuing into 2011, IOCP has served 1,492 households comprising of 4,346 individuals from local communities like Hamel, Long Lake, Medicine Lake, Medina, Minnetonka Beach, Orono, Plymouth, and Wayzata. Serving almost 1,500 people requires many volunteers, food donations, and money everyday.

For teens especially, IOCP offers a Homework Club for children from low-income families that often face extra challenges to learning and doing well in school. Homework Club is highly recommend for high school students to take part in an incredible opportunity to reach out to a struggling student in need of academic support and positive mentoring.

“Participating in the Homework Club is such a wonderful experience. You can use your skills to help other struggling children that aren’t as fortunate as you are,” said Liz Erstad-Hicks, Community Engagement Coordinator at IOCP.

If Homework Club isn’t for you, the food shelf at IOCP is in need of volunteers every week. Food shelf associates stock shelves, assist clients as needed and bag and carry out food. Working as a greeter or at the checkout you welcome clients, explain how the food shelf works and provide direction to the other food shelf volunteers.

“I love volunteering at the food shelf. Even if it was only a small change for the community, it made a impact on my life. I highly recommend it,” said senior Daniel Trio.

This year for their DECA project, Orono High School seniors Sophia Sodhi, Allie Esau and Talia Zadeh are creating a fun way for kids to get involved. “We are working with the Intermediate School, specifically with Katie Crofutt, to fight hunger in our community through a food drive for interfaith outreach. The 4th and 5th graders are competing against each other to win themselves a pool party. The OIS is also trying to beat the OHS in the total number of dollars and non-perishable food items raised,” said Sodhi.

Allie Hirschberg is the Variety Editor for The Spartan Speaks