Orono Choir takes on Chicago

Every two years, all of the Orono choir classes come together and embark on a journey to perform in some of the country’s greatest concert halls. Two years ago they went to New York City, and this year Orono choir took on Chicago, one of the nation’s most populated and well-known cities.

“Well since I went to NY two years ago, I’m really excited about the performance part and touring the city which I haven’t done yet,” senior Morgan Marxer said.

In the weeks leading up to the trip, choir students worked hard to master eight pieces, which they would perform at the Chicago Orchestra Hall at the Windy City Choral Festival.

“We rehearsed at 6:45 in the morning for about 10 weeks of rehearsal,” choir director Nicole Brenna said, “I thought that in the week or two beforehand they made a lot of progress.”

With each week the students going on the trip grew in anticipation. Not only to perform the songs they had all worked so hard on, but to see the city and also to spend time with their fellow choristers.

“I think it will be really fun to perform in a new space and to get to know a lot of other choir people who I haven’t gotten to spend as much time with,” senior Jessica Narum said.

The trip’s itinerary wasn’t just performing and bonding time, it was also filled with fun activities and sights for the students to see. Through these the students got to see a lot of what Chicago has to offer.

The students also got to tour some of Chicago’s most famous attractions. “I’m really excited about going to the Aquarium, I think it will be really cool,” sophomore Megan Larson said.

The trip as a whole was widely regarded as an overall great experience by those whom attended. The choir trip continues to be a fun, memorable part of the Orono choir experience, and Brenna hopes to continue this highly anticipated event.

“I would be interesting in doing Carnegie again just because I think it’s a really cool experience to have, and if we do it again in two years none of those kids would have had that experience yet. So it would be maybe something we could do every four years,” Brenna said.

Wherever Orono choir ends up going for their next trip in 2019, it is bound to be just as wonderful as past trips considering the time and effort put into each one by Brenna. It will be exciting to see where the next trip takes Orono choir students.