Benson is Awarded Person of the Year

Principal Dave Benson

Principal Dave Benson

On Saturday, March 4, principal David Benson will be recognized for receiving the Long Lake Chamber of Commerce Person of the Year Award. The event will be held at Burl Oaks Golf Club and will include cocktails, a silent auction, dinner, and games. The proceeds from this event will go towards chamber scholarships for OHS students.

Benson has had a long and fulfilling career so far. He has served as principal at OHS for ten years and has accomplished many things in his time here. In his time at OHS, he has significantly increased the number of AP and college credit classes available to students at OHS. When he first started, there were only seven AP courses, which has now increased to 19. In addition, the number of students who have taken and passed at least one AP course has increased from 31 percent in 2007 to 71 percent in 2016. There has also been an expansion of STEM courses, as well as World Languages.

Everyone at Orono knows how great of a principal Benson is. The school has been nationally awarded for its academic achievements, as well as its reputation for character. Benson has undoubtedly played a big role in this. He is constantly conversing with students, having a laugh with teachers, or assisting with school events. Benson is very deserving of this award and has had many great accomplishments so far, of which there will be many more to come.