Prepare to be scared: haunted houses

Wanting to add a little spook to your October? Look no further! Haunted houses are a great way to spend a chilly fall weekend with friends. Here is a rundown of the best haunted houses in the area.

Screamtown
    Screamtown, open Sept. 30 – Oct. 30, is located in Chaska, and offers five attractions, Oak Blood Forest, Hill Billy Motel, Rabid Alley, the Circus Asylum and Terror in the Corn. According to Screamtown’s website, this year, the corn is incredibly tall and they have made their signature corn maze 30 percent bigger.

Valley Scare
    Valley Scare, open Sept. 24 – Oct. 30, is one of Minnesota’s largest haunted theme parks. This year at Valley Scare they have four outdoor mazes, four indoor mazes, two scare zones, live shows and, of course, the rides. Valley Scare also has spooky daytime fun for the younger guests.

Music Box Theatre
    The Music Box Theatre, which becomes the Haunted Theatre daily at 5 p.m., Oct. 21 – 31, is located in Minneapolis. The experience is half haunted house, half musical experience.  The theatre opened 90 years ago and has an eerie past of hauntings from long forgotten characters that guests will visit as they meander through a labyrinth of rooms.

Trail of Terror
    The Trail of Terror, open from Oct. 13 – 31, has over 15 attractions and over 2.5 miles of scare! The Trail of Terror also offers a special attraction called the Phantoms Feast, which is a two hour interactive murder mystery dinner show.

Frightmares
    Frightmares, open Oct. 7 – 30, is a premier haunted house in Burnsville. Frightmares has many attractions, the Fright Factory, the Asylum, the Orchard Manor, Haunted Hallow and Scream Scene. In addition to all the scary attractions, they have a magic show, live music and dining hall. Musical acts can be found online at their Website.

Soap Box Factory
    According to their Website, The Soap Factory’s 100 year-old basement is currently being studied by the Twin Cities Paranormal Society since initial observations of the area have determined that it is “swarming with spirits.” Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 6 p.m. – 12 a.m. for a price of 21$, the 12,000 feet basement is open for exploration. You must show valid 18+ identification for entrance.

Talia Zadeh is Editor in Chief of The Spartan Speaks.