Band of sisters harmonizes on and off the volleyball court

The Orono girls varsity volleyball team can be put best in these three words: band of sisters. The amount of compassion, trust, caring and love seen on and off the courts is simply remarkable. The girls went to Camp Iduhapi and did team-building exercises including one where they had to tell each other, “I support you.”

Senior Mariah Scharf stated, “The big thing that we did was supporting our teammates and facing our fears.”

“The team does a great job of supporting each other in everything they do,” said coach Laurie Jensen.“These girls genuinely like each other, and don’t just pretend.”

The “band of sisters” are lead by captains Maggie Ellis, Emily Meyer, and Mariah Scharf, as well as seniors Spencer Amstrup and Amanda Brooks. “Her personality is positive and outgoing. She really gets the troop going,” Jensen said about Ellis, while “Mariah and Emily are quieter and really lead by example.” The under class-men and teammates “expect different things from each one of us … [and] I think we do a good job of helping them.”

Another great aspect of the team is their versatility and flexibility. The line-up has changed a lot this year. Coach Jensen shared that she seemed ecstatic that the girls on her team are, “Stronger [than in years past] and have depth in numbers to support us.” Scharf stated, “Knowing that we have girls who can play different positions … makes us stronger as a team.” At their tournament on Oct. 2, freshman Kristie Tunheim “was played at middle because a player was gone. That position is intense and it was great that we could rely on a freshman,” Jensen explained.

The team leads in serving percentages and aces, and also has a season record of 12-8.

There are a few individual successes that the team has celebrated as well. Sophomore and two year varsity member, Maddie Eastman, “Is having great successes at the right side,” said coach Jensen.

Mariah Scharf broke the record of most aces in a single season, formerly 114, set by Lexi Rinde just last year. “It is definitely one of my biggest goals that I have been striving for,” Scharf explained. “Whenever Mariah gets closer to beating that record, her team really rallies around her,” Jensen said, “I am very excited that she picked this very measurable goal.”

Scharf exceeded the record, and as of Oct. 12 she had already served 118 aces. “That girl has so much determination that I know there wasn’t too much that could stop her from beating my ace record,” stated Rinde. “I’m proud of my other half and just hope that the team is putting all those aces to good use!”

The Orono girls volleyball team has the potential to do very well in the playoffs and are expected to make a run. Keep watching games and looking out for Scharf creaming the single-season ace record.

Jack Ellis is a Staff Reporter for The Spartan Speaks