Student’s Organize their Life with a Planner

Students Organize their Life with a Planner

Imagine just found out about a project that was due today, the rubric was handed out two weeks ago but it was filed away in the deep sea of papers in a random binder. You did not write the project down in your planner What do you do, make up an excuse or own your mistakes.

Once I see everything I need to do in my planner for the week, it makes it much easier to focus and get my homework done on time.

— junior Frankie Vochko

“I always write what homework I have for the night in my planner.” Junior Katherine Kieley said.

According to Kimberly Lenters and Marianne McTavish of the  UKLA, that the planner was first introduced into Schools around the late 1980s.  Not only are they called student planners, but are also referred to as date books, agendas, diaries, and assignment books.

Not many people in OHS use or even have a planner.  Time Magazine stated in an article the 4 items you need to start the semester off right, a simple planner was number 2 on the list.  Just below the backpack.  Most schools don’t even put a planner on that back to school list.

In grade school, usually students in grades 1st through 8th were given a student planner to help them stay on task. When the students got to High School things changed they were not given a planner. Also most teachers  at OHS don’t take time out of the short 40 minutes to discuss the homework for the night, or the week.

“Once I see everything I need to do in my planner for the week, it makes it much easier to focus and get my homework done on time.” Junior Frankie Vochko said.

It’s so simple to take three minutes out of your class to write down a reminder or assignment in your planner, it makes people more efficient and increases the chance of doing their homework.

“The benefits of writing in a planner are staying organized and knowing exactly where everything is, and that is crucial in High School,”  Sophomore Claire Henneman said.

Mrs. Herring a Freshman English and Journalism teacher at Orono High School plans on taking a action next year and creating her own planner, that will not only be organized by class, but by important days and national Holidays.  This planner will be open to purchase for any student and or teacher at OHS in the school year of 2016-2017.  Pre orders available  spring of 2016.

A student planner can help build positive study habits for students in high school and college. Actually recording information such as work, homework, and  activities helps manage time to be more efficient and not miss important deadlines.