OHS students welcome new teachers

The Orono School District sees plenty of potential in the 19 new staff members hired this year, including five new teachers to the high school. Megan Earnest, Andy Kahler and Suzanne Kehret were all hired in the science department. Michelle Magy was hired in the math department and Joe Suchomel in the world language department.

“When interviewing teachers, I looked at their future potential [at Orono] as well as what they bring to the classroom setting,” principal, David Benson said. Due to the high numbers of open positions in the district, teachers were chosen carefully.

Michelle Magy was hired in the math department to teach Functions, Statistics and AP Statistics. Magy grew up in Plymouth, Minn. and attended the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She chose to accept the job at Orono given the opportunity to teach AP Statistics for the first time and work in a smaller district.

Physics teacher, Andy Kahler, was a new addition to the science department this year. Kahler studied at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa and taught in the Fort Dodge, Rockford and Sibley school districts before working in the Orono School District.

“I chose to accept the job offer at Orono High School because it is close to my home and a fantastic district,” Kahler said.

Also hired in the science department was Megan Earnest. Earnest teaches Chemistry and Forensics Science. Earnest grew up outside of Chicago and moved to Minnesota before the school year started. She grew up playing basketball and is an avid Chicago Bulls fan.

Suzanne Kehret, who teaches AP Environmental Science and Chemistry is another addition to the science department. Kehret grew up in Des Moines, Iowa and attended Iowa State University. She is currently working to get her masters degree from Concordia College. Kehret owns a black lab and collie mix named Sophia and hopes to bring variety to her classroom.

“I like to be interactive with my students,” Kehret said. “I am never just standing up in the front of the room. I like to have a hands-on learning environment in my classroom.”

In the world language department, Joe Suchomel was hired to teach German. Suchomel grew up in Hopkins, Minn. and previously taught in the Duluth and Eden Prairie school districts. Before accepting a job offer at OHS, Suchomel lived on the island of Crete with his family where he worked as an archaeologist. He chose to come back to Minnesota to teach in order to make an impact on students.

Students noticed the abilities of the new teaching staff right away. “The new teachers make learning fun, and are a great addition to OHS,” junior Abby Nuetzel said.

The new teaching staff was surprised by the actions of students at Orono during the beginning of the school year. “The first few days of class, the students caught me off guard by thanking me for teaching them. This let me know that Orono students wanted to learn. It encourages me as a teacher,” Kahler said.

MAKENA YUNKER is the Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Spartan SpeaksJoe Suchomel Megan Earnest Michelle Magy Suzanne Kehret Andy Kahler