Spartans hang tough but fall short

Seniors Madi Arends, Tanner Judge, and Tori Palm support the girls team and #6, Katherine Spurlock

Last night the Orono Girls Hockey (0-1-0) team lost a tough a game to #4 Breck (1-0-0) by the score of 1-2.

Sophomore Sarah Harrison with had the Spartans lone goal assisted by junior Brooklyn Duffy  but it wasn’t enough to hold of the Mustangs. “We played well,” said senior Katherine Spurlock, “but we need to score more than one goal to beat a team like Breck.”

The Spartans scored in the first period and out shot the Mustangs 16-6. In the second period, both teams were fighting to get the next goal but ended out scoreless. Orono out shot Breck, 12 -5.

The third period was filled with penalties and scoring chances. Orono gave a up short handed goal just under six minutes into the final period. “That was a tough one to give up,” said Spurlock. Soon after Breck’s first goal, ex-Orono hockey player, junior Leah Schwartzman, scored a power play goal to help the Mustangs go ahead 1-2 and ended up being the game winner. In the final period, the Spartans out shot the Mustangs, 16-10 and out shot them in the game, 44-21.

Junior goalie and first year starter, Sophia Sterling, faced 21 shots and saved 19 of them. “She played great,” said junior Ellie Martini, “we just needed to help her out.”

The Spartans look forward to their upcoming games but won’t forget what they learned about the Mustangs and their team. “We played a solid three periods, and worked our hardest,” Martini said, “We’ll come back and beat them when it counts, in sections.”

Stats provided by the Star Tribune MN Girls Hockey Hub:

Game totals

SCORING 1 2 3 T
Breck 0 0 2 2
Orono 1 0 0 1
  • Sarah Harrison (Orono) from Brooklyn Duffy (Orono)- Full Strength
  • Grace Zumwinke (Breck)- Short Handed
  • Leah Schwarazman (Breck) from Cheyenne Harris, Kendall Williamson (Breck)- Power Play
POWER PLAYS
Breck 1 for 3 (33.33%)
Orono 0 for 7 (0.0%)

SHOTS 1 2 3 T
Breck 6 5 10 21
Orono 16 12 16 44

PENALTIES
Breck 16 minutes on 8 infractions
Orono 8 minutes on 4 infractions

Breck goalies

# NAME MIN SOG SV GA SV %
Jenna Brenneman 51:00 44 43 1 .977
TOTALS 44 43 1 .977

Orono goalies

# NAME MIN SOG SV GA SV %
30 Sophia Sterling 51:00 21 19 2 .905
TOTALS 21 19 2 .905