Orono Girls Hockey season opener vs. #4 Breck

Senior+Madison+Martini+watches+the+play+in+the+corner.+
Senior Madison Martini watches the play in the corner.

Today the Orono Girls Hockey team opens up their season at home against a top ten powerhouse, Breck. Orono came out ranked 7 in the state in the Lets Play Hockey Class A preseason rankings. Orono has a solid senior class coming back this year lead by captains Becky Smith, Madison Martini, and Katherine Spurlock. “We are more than excited for this game,” Spurlock said. “Breck is a good team but we can skate with them which should make this interesting”

The Spartans will look towards their seniors for the leadership of the team, but the Spartans are returning young sophomores Brianna Bren and Sarah Harrison, two key players to the Spartans top two lines.

“There are some new faces on the team this year, but we are returning a good amount of second or third year varsity players,” Martini said. Also included in the young talent, Ellie Martini, and Haley Nielsen will help the defense of the Spartans.

Young Martini, sister to Madison, is being looked at by Ivy League schools such as Brown and Yale. Also on defense, senior Kacie Limesand, making her return tonight after leaving the game two years ago.

“Tonight will be fun but it is a long season,” Martini said. The Spartans look to get to a fast start by beating the 4 ranked team in the state.

Breck and Orono have some history in the winter. Breck’s junior foreword, Leah Schwartzman, grew up with and played at Orono before going to Breck for high school. She returns to the Orono Ice Arena tonight, and will be welcomed by old teammates.

The Spartans kick off the season tonight but won’t be in action until they go to New Prague next Tuesday (11/12)
Spurlock and the team are asking for the student body to come out and support the team. “Everyone should come out and support us. It will be good game and hopefully a good win.”

Pete Makarov is the Editor-in-Chief Online for The Spartan Speaks