Girls Hockey: Conference Champions repeat

Photo/ Madi Arends

On Jan.  22  the Orono Girls hockey team beat the Hutchinson Tigers by a score of 8-0 to clinch the wright county conference championship.

“Beating Hutch and winning conference was a great feeling,” said Junior Madison Martini.  Martini led the team in scoring against Hutch with three goals.  Junior Rebekah Smith scored two goals and had one assist in the win.

Other scorers included junior Emily Knight, freshmen Brianna  Bren and Sara Harrison.  Bren also had one assist.  S. Knight, sophomore Haley Neilsen, and junior Katherine Spurlock led the team with two assists.  Sophmore Brooklyn Duffy and E. Knight had one assist each.

Mound- Westonka helped the girls team clinch the conference championship by defeating Holy Family.  Though the teams are rivals OGH went to the Holy Family vs. Mound game to cheer Mound on.  “Cheering on Mound was so worth winning the conference title,” said Duffy.

The Orono Spartans are set to play number 3 seed Breck on Feb. 12.  “Breck is a good team and we have played them once before and lost 5-1,” said Smith, “that was in the beginning of the season and we have gotten a lot better since then and we have been working hard all year to prepare for sections.”

“Winning conference two years in a row meant that we had become a team other feared,” said Martini, “we realized we were no longer the underdogs.”

Madi Arends is the Layout editor for The Spartan Speaks

[email protected]