Varsity doesn’t mean older anymore

A surge of underclassmen have achieved varsity level status. This accomplishment comes with an increased sense of responsibility.

With young talent beginning at such early ages, high school sports teams have the ability to develop their team for years to come.

For underclassmen, gaining this achievement gives them a sense of accomplishment and reward for all their time dedicated to practicing. “It felt pretty good. It was good to know that all your hard work paid off,” said junior Chandler Perry. Perry has played on varsity since sophomore year for basketball and football.

“It was a pretty good feeling,” said sophomore Gavin Payne, “not many people can say they have done that,” Payne was a freshman on the varsity hockey team.

Once they reached varsity the young athletes felt under the spotlight. “I felt a lot of pressure [for the first game] I felt like I had to prove myself and knew I had to play really well,” said freshman Emily Geelan. Geelan played on the varsity softball team her eighth grade year.

Nerves face these athletes in numerous ways for a variety of reasons. “I was more nervous for [my first] football [game]. It is a whole new level and I was not the biggest kid out there, but I was up to the task and knew I had to be sharp,” said Perry.

Being a younger player on the team did not give these athletes any room for slacking off. The upperclassmen held their own responsibilities to the young players. “We were the main part of the defense, and we had a job to do. If we did not do it the whole defense fell apart,” said sophomore Ethan Larson. Larson played on the varsity football team as a sophomore.

Others felt as if they had to obey the upperclassmen. “I felt like I had to respect the seniors as much as I could and be super nice. I also had to do exactly what I was told,” said junior Emily Knight who played on varsity hockey as a freshmen.

Another aspect of the game underclassmen had to adapt to was that the coaches and the roles they were being held to. “The coaches told me to try my very best in practice and push myself because this is the beginning of my high school career,” said Dolly Jorgenson. Jorgenson is a freshman who played on varsity basketball as an eighth grader.

These spots were not guaranteed to these players. They had to work hard in the off-season to grab their well-deserved varsity spot. “I played with elite teams such as the Minnesota Renegades [softball], and Northwest Acceleration [hockey], and worked out in the offseason,” said junior Becky Smith. Smith has played on varsity hockey and softball since eighth grade.

The first time a young athlete plays in their first varsity level game can have different feelings for everyone. However finally hearing the coach call your name and check into the game can be expressed in a variety of emotions. “It catches you off guard, but you need to stay ready and execute what you’re suppose to do,” said Larson.

Madi Arends is the Layout Editor for The Spartan Speaks
[email protected]