The ski hills of Minnesota come alive in the winter

Ben Johnson
Junior Keller Hickok skiing down the slopes at Buck Hill.

As winter finally comes in the Twin Cities the local ski hills begin to fill with people anxious to ski.

Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area, Bloomington

Hyland Hills is a small ski hill about half an hour from Orono High School. It is the closest local ski hill and it is also the training area for the high school alpine ski racing team.

The race team travels to Hyland three days a week, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, in order to practice skiing gates. Hyland is small, but it has a lot to offer. If you enjoy terrain parks, it is the place to go. From open to close they run a rope tow from the bottom of the terrain park to the top, allowing skiers and snow boarders to skip the lift lines and get a few more runs in.

Hyland does not have a variety of terrain, and has a very consistent grade and difficulty level no matter where you are on the hill.

Hyland is open Monday-Thursday 10:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m., Friday 10:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m., Saturday 9:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. and Sunday, 9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. A lift ticket here costs $31 for an adult.

Buck Hill, Burnsville
Buck Hill is slightly larger than Hyland, but it is about a forty minute drive from Orono High School to Buck Hill. Buck Hill is where most of the varsity races take place for the high schools in the surrounding area.

This is also the training ground of Olympic downhill gold medalist Lindsey Vonn. Aside from racing, Buck Hill offers a much greater variety of terrain and is also a bit larger than Hyland. Buck Hill has everything from jumps and rails for the experts, to sloping green and easy blue runs for the beginners and first time skiers.

Buck Hill is open Monday-Thursday 10:00 a.m.-9:30 p.m., Friday 10:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 9:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. A lift ticket here costs $39 for an adult.

Powder Ridge, Kimball
Powder Ridge is quite a bit further from Orono High School. It is about one hour and 10 minutes from Orono High School, so while it does not make sense as an after school destination, it is a terrific spot for some skiing or snowboarding on the weekend.

Very similar to Buck Hill, Powder Ridge has a large variety of terrain while remaining about the same size as Buck Hill.

Powder Ridge is open Monday-Thursday 10:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m., Tuesdays, 4:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m., Fridays 10:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m., Saturdays 9:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. and Sundays: 9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. A lift ticket here costs $36 for an adult.

Afton Alps, Hastings
The drive to Afton Alps is about the same length as the drive to Powder Ridge, around one hour, but it is in the opposite direction. While you travel northwest in order to get to Powder Ridge, you travel southeast in order to go to Afton Alps. This drive, however, is well worth it.

Afton Alps is by far the largest ski hill within two hours of Orono High School and it also has the most diverse terrain. Afton has very difficult, steep runs filled with moguls for the expert skiers, and flat, short bunny hills for the first time skiers.

Along with its variety of terrain, Afton Alps has three separate chalets where you can relax, warm up, and grab some food.

Afton Alps is open Monday-Thursday 9:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m., Friday-Saturday 9:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. and Sunday 9:00 a.m.- 9:30 p.m.. A lift ticket here costs $42 for an adult.

Connor Sample is a variety editor for The Spartan Speaks.

.