Norwegian royals visit MN schools

On Oct. 13-22, their Majesties King Harald V and Queen Sonja visited the United States. They visited several sites of Norwegian heritage and significance while in Minnesota, including St. Olaf College, Augsburg College, the Mayo Clinic, Sons of Norway and Enger Tower.

The royals began their trip in Iowa, where they visited Luther College, before making the trip north to Minnesota. Both St. Olaf and Augsburg Colleges were established by Norwegians. Sons of Norway, in Duluth, Minnesota, completely refurbished their headquarters and rolled out a brand new red carpet for the king and queen to walk on.

Finally, before returning to St. Paul for a flight to New York City, King Harald V rededicated the Enger Tower after a $400,000 renovation. It had been 72 years since the tower was first dedicated by the king’s father, then Crown Prince Olav. This also isn’t the king’s first trip to the United States. He and his family fled here during the second World War, when Harald was only four.

The king and queen departed from Minnesota on October 18 and flew to New York. While there, they visited the Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce, the Scandinavia House, Ground Zero, and were Honorary Guests at the American Scandinavian Foundation’s Centennial Ball. They returned to Oslo on Oct. 22.

Norwegian heritage runs deep in Minnesota, especially in the northern regions. “It’s very commonplace because of the mass immigration to the Midwest by Norwegians and Swedes,” explained junior Tessa Ostvig.

Between 1825 and 1940, millions of Norwegians emigrated to the United States, and most of them to Midwest states like Minnesota. Even in Orono, many students have Norwegian backgrounds and traditions.

“We make lefse every holiday, and we also eat Krub and Rumigrout, which is extremely Norwegian,” said junior Bailey Amstrup. Senior Patrick Elmore also practices his Norwegian culinary traditions by baking rosettes, which are a type of Norwegian cookies.

Elmore has a great deal of respect for Norway. “I love Norway because it is part of my heritage and I hope to visit [there] someday,” he said.

Norwegian customs have also influenced Minnesotan social policies. “What we call ‘Minnesota Nice’ is kind of a by-product of Norwegian culture,” said Orono history teacher Dennis Lynn.

According to Central Intelligence Agency reports, the United States and Norway are on very good diplomatic terms, both sharing similar political goals and interests. Some speculations also say that the visit was in part an acknowledgment of the United States’ support after terror attacks in Oslo on Jul. 22. More than 90 people were killed in a combined bombing and shooting, the worst massacre on Norwegian soil since World War II.

The attack on Norway brought sympathy and support from the United States. The effects were, “probably the same as those of 9/11…general panic, shock, and demoralization of the whole country,” said Ostvig.

In his speech to St. Olaf students, King Harald thanked the American people for their “support and compassion in the wake of those terrorist attacks.”

Lynn thought that the visit also, “brought more awareness to our heritage and past.” He said that it served to, “reaffirm the bonds with the United States and reconnect with descendants of Norwegians who lived in Minnesota.”

“It brings a lot of prestige to Minnesota,” Lynn said. “It’s an honor to be visited.”

Maddie Mayhew is the Online Editor for The Spartan Speaks