Orono DECA finds success at district conference

From the beginning, DECA has always had one goal: to improve both educational and career opportunities for high school, along with college students around the world. Since its formation, DECA has always been able to uphold a high standard in educational innovation and has become nationally known for integrating academic achievement with intellectual skills, and a firm connection with the business community.

Orono DECA participants spent countless hours preparing for the District 6 Conference, which was held January 28th at Wayzata High School.  Students arrived at Wayzata around 8 a.m. and had wrapped up competition by 5 pm. Team success was led by the Entrepreneurship/International Business competitors who captured numerous trophies in these events.

I wasn’t expecting to double qualify especially for my role play, but I’m excited for state and have had a lot of fun working with my group on our written project

— Maddix Grady

“It was a pleasure to be part of the DECA process. The depth of thinking and innovative ideas was impressive, and what a fantastic opportunity for students to learn and get real-world experience in analysis, business planning and presenting.” district judge Peter Robson said.

Overall, a total of 126 students represented Orono DECA at the District 6 Conference against the following schools: Chanhassen, Chaska, Eden Prairie, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, and Wayzata. A total of 628 students participated at the conference.

The banquet was held on the following day, January 29th, at Medina Ballroom. Students from the District 6 Conference gathered for the award ceremony. The district conference was a success for Orono, with both the first and second year DECA students. 76 out of the 126 Orono students were selected to advance to the state conference, 36 qualified in two events, and five participants flourished and triple qualified for the state conference.

“I wasn’t expecting to double qualify especially for my role play, but I’m excited for state and have had a lot of fun working with my group on our written project,” double state qualifier Maddix Grady said.

“This was my second year competing in DECA, so this time around was less stressful because I knew what to expect,” state qualifier Braeden Christiansen said.

Double state qualifiers Sophie Andrews, Will Larson, and Thomas Lecy took advantage of their strong community, and based their chapter project off of the Orono Unified program. Through their involvement with the Unified Club that takes place within the walls of their high school, which operates in cooperation with Special Olympics Minnesota. They created and implemented programs in the West Metro schools to increase awareness about Unified programs. These students went above and beyond with their project in public relations, stimulating the foundation of various new Unified programs throughout the state.

“We have personally started unified clubs in five schools and have spread the word various ways to inform people about the unified program,” Andrews said.

Following the District 6 Conference, the 76 students who advanced will participate in the State Conference, which will take place in downtown Minneapolis from March 4th to the 6th. Students who place in the top three of their category will continue onto the International Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.

If you have any questions please contact Orono High School DECA Advisor, Keith Jurek at [email protected] or 952-449-8424.