New kids on the Orono block

It’s never easy being the new student at a new school, but these newbies seem to be fitting in just fine. Let me introduce to you the new kids on the block. Orono High School welcomes you all.

Name: Amalie Hansen
Grade: 12

Amalie Hansen is a foreign exchange student from Vordingborg, Denmark who came to Minnesota this summer.

She described her first day at Orono High School as “very confusing.” Like the rest of us, Hansen had trouble opening her locker at first and had to carry around all her books for the first week of school. Lunch time was also another “confusing” time for Hansen.“I didn’t know where to sit, and I didn’t understand why we needed a code to buy lunch.” According to Hansen, OHS is “huge” compared to her school in Denmark.

Overall, Hansen has settled in nicely at OHS. She has made lots of friends who she described as, “really nice and willing to help.”

Name: Sophie Buengler
Grade: 11

Sophie Buengler arrived in Minnesota this summer. She is a foreign exchange student and has come all the way from Buren, Germany.

Buengler explained how Orono High School is a lot different from her school in Germany. “We don’t have every subject everyday at the same time like you do at Orono” she said. She also went on to say how she thought homecoming week was “crazy” and was like something “right out of the movies.”

Buengler is really enjoying her time here in Minnesota so far and said that, “people are really nice and are always wanting to hear my accent.”

Buengler explained that OHS is different compared to her school in Germany. She explained how “people are not as open minded or accepting in Germany to the new kid” .

Buengler really appreciates how everyone is “so friendly” to her here at Orono.
Names: Elan Chargo and Abby Chargo
Grade: 11 and 9

The Chargo siblings have come to Orono from Armstrong High School and Plymouth Middle School. Both Elan and Abby said that their view on Orono so far is that they “love it”and think it is an “absolutely amazing school where everyone is so nice.”

Elan said he enjoys that the classes and the school are “small, as it helps make it easier to met new people.” He said he is “excited to start a new chapter of his life here at Orono.”

Abby is really enjoying all of her “new friends and playing soccer at Orono High School.” She said she sees a difference in how students treat each other at Orono.

“At my old school I saw kids being bullied every day, so far I have seen no one being made fun of here at Orono.”

Imogen Barwick is an Editorial Editor for The Spartan Speaks