OHS evacuated mid-day

Katie Berrell, Editor in Chief - Print

imageKatie Berrell
At 11:50 on Feb. 2, OHS students and faculty were surprised to hear the fire alarms go off.  The building was evacuated and all had to stand outside in the harsh winter wind and freezing temperatures.  When students and faculty were allowed back in the building, a group of firefighters entered the building to find the source of the problem.

It turns out that there were electrical issues in Mr. Aman’s class that caused the alarms to sound. There are no reports of real damage, and all who were in the building when the alarms went off are uninjured.

A press release from the Orono School District went out to all families to address the evacuation:

“Dear Parents,

About 11:50 a.m. today, emergency vehicles responded to a fire alarm at Orono High School. There were no injuries or damage to the building.

An outlet malfunctioned and filled a classroom with smoke. The entire building was evacuated quickly and safely per the school’s emergency procedures. The situation was assessed as quickly as possible so that students could return inside with a matter of minutes.

Today’s events serve as a reminder that emergencies are never welcome; however, our staff, students and local safety officials are well-prepared to respond quickly.
Sincerely,
Dr. Karen Orcutt
Superintendent of Schools”