Girls gymnastics flips into competition

Makena Yunker, A&E Editor

Only a few points can make the difference between a win and a loss for the Orono girls gymnastics team. A lot is on the line when it comes to competing.

Although a meet lasts around two or three hours, the team puts in countless hours of practice to prepare. On the days leading up to a meet, practice involves fine-tuning the girls’ routines.

“You can’t expect to slack off in practice and then go have an outstanding meet,” head coach Amber Dorholt said, “If you want the results you have to work hard for it.”

On a meet day, the gymnastics team loads onto a bus where they have time to chat and focus before competing. Amber Dorholt, their head coach of four years, provides healthy snacks on the way to the meet.

“Eating healthy is important. Before competing, I eat eggs or fruit for breakfast,” freshman Nicole Albertson said.

After arriving, the girls have a chance to stretch and get their bodies warm before competition. The team has about ten minutes to warm up at each event giving each girl a few tries at her routine before the actual competition begins.

First, the junior varsity portion of the competition begins. Following that is one of the team’s favorite parts of the competition: the march in.

The march in allows all of the teams to be announced before the varsity competition. This is a great way for the gymnastics team to bond, as well as show team spirit.

The National Anthem also takes place during this portion of the competition.

The team competes individually in four events: beam, vault, floor, and bars. Each event is scored out of ten. The point total consists of a combination of difficulty and execution.

“I go over the routine in my head over and over again. I don’t watch the person before me [because] it makes me too nervous,” junior Heather Alton said.

When Orono’s varsity team competes, their order of events is bars, vault, floor and beam. Before executing a routine, each individual is given a two minute “touch.” This allows the girls to get a chance to familiarize their bodies with the equipment for a second time, as well as serving as a final warm up before competing.

“During events, we cheer each other on,” senior Sydney Albertson said. “Our team is very supportive of one another.”

After the competition, an awards ceremony is held in which junior varsity scores are given out. Following that, the varsity scores and finally overall team scores are announced.

Orono’s team is 2-3 so far this season with wins over Litchfield and Dassel-Cokato. Upcoming meets include Watertown-Mayer, Waconia and New London Spicer.

The girls will even show some love for their favorite sport on Valentine’s Day. One of the biggest meets of the year is the state-qualifying sections meet, which takes place on Feb. 14 at Breck.

“You can’t break the season down into wins and losses,” Dorholt said, “A successful season to me is if everyone learned something new and improved and that is what I ask from the girls. Come to practice, work hard and the results will show in competition.”