Guide to Orono Winterfest Week 2024

Orono Student Senate

While Orono might be in the depths of winter, that does not mean that the student body cannot have fun. That is why, in accordance with tradition, Winterfest Week has arrived to brighten spirits. Below is a summary of the week and its festivities.

Monday the 5th: Winterfest Week starts out strong with Maui Monday as its starting dress-up day theme, encouraging students and staff to show off their best Hawaiian outfits. Starting right as people enter the building, they will be able to participate in Happy Heart Hunting in which throughout the school there are paper hearts taped to the walls. On each heart are three names. If all three people in the heart meet up, take a photo together, and show it to the office, they will be presented with a sweet treat as a reward. Furthermore in regards to activities, bingo games will be hosted by the Student Senate during lunch. Finally, at the day’s end, there will be a medallion hunt sponsored by SPA where a riddle will be posted on the OHS Student Body Instagram and students are encouraged to work together to figure it out and find the medallion. Winners receive a gift card, recognition on the Instagram account, and bragging rights.

Tuesday the 6th: Blackout will be Tuesday’s attire, but the second day of Winterfest Week will be anything but dull. At lunch, bracelets will be sold to raise money for the Make-a-Wish foundation and at the end of the day there will be a coronation ceremony for the school’s Winterfest court. It should also be noted that Tuesday is a reverse Spartan Hour day, meaning that Spartan Hour will be the very last period of the day.

Wednesday the 7th: A new dress-up theme at Orono, Athlete vs. Mathelete is what students will don on Wednesday. At lunch there will be a Kahoot and students will be able to win a wide variety of prizes.

Thursday the 8th: On Thursday there will be a war among the grades: Class Comp. Each grade will be wearing their class color (Seniors are white, juniors are purple, sophomores are Carolina blue, and freshmen are green) throughout the day. During Spartan Hour, all the grades will meet in the auditorium and compete in a number of challenges to see which one triumphs. Also, Make-a-Wish bracelets will once again be sold at lunch. Thursday night, there will be a Winterfest Warm-Up tailgate at 6p.m. at Morrison Arena before the Orono Boys’ Hockey 7pm game against St. Louis Park where students can mingle and enjoy meals of Raising Cane’s that will be for sale.

Friday the 9th: Country vs. Country Club is a classic dress-up day that will be the final one of the week. During Spartan Hour, the senior and junior boys will compete against each other at Powderbuff in a game of volleyball. Also, for the final time, Make-a-Wish bracelets will be sold at lunch.

Saturday the 10th: This year’s Winterfest semi formal dance will be behind the bleachers in the gymnasium and run from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Make sure to bring your student ID and $10 to get in.

With that, Happy Winterfest Week!