Students Manage Their Time Between School and Skiing/Snowboarding

Explore Minnesota
A snowboarder soars above the terrain park at Hyland Hills Ski/Snowboard Area

With snowboarding and skiing season starting up, students who partake have an additional activity that makes time management more difficult.

“I go skiing after school and get back around 8 doing homework from 8-9:30,” Senior Jack Shideman said.

Having a set time schedule for doing various things is a great way to manage time.

“I think I will have to start using my class time more often and completing things in class to minimize homework outside of school so I can ski when I want to,” Junior Mia Amic said.

By leveraging in-class time, Mia aims to reduce her workload so she has freedom to ski whenever the mountains call.
Some students have a perspective that prioritizes experiential memories over academic rigor.

“If I had the choice between skiing and studying for a test I would go skiing because I’ll remember that more than the test and when I look back on life I want to say I had fun,” Mia said.

Many students that ski and snowboard prioritize moments on the slopes over school obligations.

“I would skip school or not study for a test to hit the slopes with the boys because it brings me more joy,” Senior Will Skoog said.

A significant number of students that ski and snowboard emphasize the value of living life to the fullest while still balancing academics and other things.