2021 Wrestling Season Kicks Off With a Success

Delaney Whitney

The wrestling season is off to a great start for both varsity and JV teams.

After their season was cut short last year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Orono High School Wrestling team is back and has already kicked off their 2021-22 season. While practices began Nov. 29, the team participated in their first tournament over this past weekend.

“I am very excited for this season of wrestling. Senior season is always a big deal, but I’m hoping to have as good of a time as possible and be successful on the mat,” senior Parker Abed said.

The Spartans’ first tournament, which took place at St. Michael Albertville High School, ended on a positive note, with both varsity and junior varsity wrestlers placing in their respective weight classes:
Varsity:
Eli McKown – 4th place
Brady McPherson – 5th place
Mason Pankonin – 6th place
Oliver Stevenson – 6th place
JV:
Max Hultmann – 2nd place
Frankie Stevenson – 3rd place
Devin Pearce – 4th place
JP Stack – 5th place

“I think that we have a great team, and even though we will be wrestling some good competition this year, we have a lot of tough wrestlers who are willing to put in the work and see a great outcome,” senior manager Morgan McPherson said.

Practices occur Mon-Wed from 3 to 5 pm, and wrestling meets take place every Thursday, while all-day tournaments follow every Saturday.

“I first became a manager my sophomore year and I really enjoy it! The work I have to do [recording the wrestlers] was a little confusing at first, since I knew nothing about wrestling,” junior manager Linnea Jensen said, “but now that I’ve been doing it for a while, it has gotten a lot easier. It’s very fun being a part of such a great team.”

This past Thursday, Dec. 9, both varsity and JV teams competed in a duel against Robinsdale-Cooper at home. The meet resulted in an overall win for the Spartans. The boys will continue moving forward with their season with another tournament this Saturday, Dec. 11, at Andover High School. Wrestling starts at 10 am.