Orono welcomes new staff member

Photo/ Claire Suchy

Molly Haglin joined the Orono staff this year.

Claire Suchy, Copy Editor

Claire Suchy
Copy Editor

The Orono high school welcomes new staff every year, from new teachers, to counselors, to lunch ladies. This year, in addition to these people, Orono has welcomed a new staff member offering resources unseen in years past.

Through a grant offered by the Minnesota Department of Education, entitled, “Alternative Delivery of Specialized Instructional Services,” also known as ADSIS, provided Orono high school with increased academic and behavioral support in the form of a new staff member, Molly Haglin.

Haglin joined the Orono staff in October of 2019 after watching three of her own children go through the Orono school district. She previously had a small non-profit located in Hamil named Wonderfully Made.

Now located in the Media Center, Haglin deals with a plethora of issues, from helping kids organize their school materials to communicating with teachers. Mostly through a referral from the office, though not exclusively, Haglin is able to provide aid to students in numerous areas of their lives.

“I’m extra support at school, to help [students] navigate the way if [they] don’t know how to,” said Haglin, “If you need help with something, I can help you find what you need.”

ADSIS acts somewhat as a middle-man between students and teachers, allowing kids to have a voice of their own in a way that many often didn’t believe they could. Those who need additional support, whether it be behavioral or academic, are provided with further navigation and encouragement that is often necessary for them to be successful.

Though the high school already has three counselors, Haglin’s job greatly differs from those in the counseling office. The counselors provide supported by formal training, as well as providing academic and mental health support to the entire student body. However, the majority of Haglin’s position entails helping kids navigate the rigors of their class schedules.

“Oftentimes, in working with the classes that they’re struggling in, we can get to the heart of [it],” said Haglin, “Maybe they’ve got all the ideas in their head, but it’s hard to get them on paper, or their computer, or maybe they are so afraid of standing up in front of a group.”

For three years, ADSIS has been incorporated into both the intermediate and elementary schools. Outside of Orono, Westonka and Shakopee have also received these services.

“Whether that is, you know, talking to your teacher for you or lining you up with extra help,” said Haglin, “there’s a whole plethora of information the community and the kids don’t know about. So it starts with a conversation.”