Freshman Kindness Retreat – a Recap

Megan Fritz

Allie Gardner leading groups of students during the “Empathy” portion of the day-long retreat.

Kenzie Taylor, Editor in Chief

Freshman Kindness Retreat – a Recap
Kenzie Taylor
Editor in Chief

On Thursday, Dec. 5, Jeff Kluever and Allie Gardner from Drake University visited Orono High School with the mission to further develop culture and leadership skills, specifically directed to the freshman class. Joining the freshmen were selected seniors, acting as group leaders, who facilitated discussions and acted as role models.

Dedicating the whole day to this retreat, principal Dr. Amy Steiner emphasized that “We value you as members of our school community.”

The seminar kicked off with a general overview of the agenda and goals of the day, presented by Kluever, who has a Master’s in curriculum and instruction; he encouraged the students to “be where your feet are,” and explained that as busy students, they tend to think about things they can’t control, and as a result, let time pass by.

As an icebreaker, students were instructed to find partners, and ask them simple questions that were provided to them, ranging from “Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or 1 horse-sized duck?” to “How do you want to be remembered when you graduate Orono?”

A task so simple had fascinating results: students who were utter strangers to each other were seen conversing and creating new relationships, every one of them finding unexpected similarities in each other.

The students were then divided into two groups, one focusing on empathy, and the other on leadership. The empathy portion centered on school culture, meaning the “words we say and actions we take” from Gardner’s perspective.

Gardner began with an activity where students were to leave the bleachers and sit at their respective table when something she said applied to them, such as “My parents are divorced,” “I have lost a loved one,” and “ I have seen someone teased or teased someone myself.” By the end of her statements, no students were left in the bleachers. The purpose of the exercise was to acknowledge that everyone has personal experiences that can’t be seen, and to encourage students to consider others’ feelings before saying something that could potentially hurt them.

The gym filled with buzzing circles of students discussing how to implement kindness and empathy into Orono’s culture, and made posters showcasing their thoughts.

In the Activities Center, Kluver led the leadership portion. Key points discussed ranged from holding oneself and others accountable to the implementation of one’s legacy at Orono High School.

One of the several activities included groups of students standing in circles, throwing a ball around. They had to follow a series of simple rules, including throwing and catching well. By the end of the activity, students were asked if they thought they had followed the rules sufficiently, and nearly every student raised their hand; additionally, they were asked if they thought their peers had followed the rules well, and they responded that they saw people who could have done a better job. The purpose of the exercise was to show that it is easier to hold others accountable than oneself.

The rest of the day consisted of activities that aimed to increase students’ awareness of their own actions and how they are perceived by others.

“I plan to make a conscious effort to be more positive and think about what other people have going on,” freshman Abby Jonassen said.

Above all else, Gardner emphasized that “their touchstone is their legacy” and noted that it should be the number one takeaway from the day. The touchstone symbolizes what they will leave behind, and act at a stepping stone as they grow and change.

Kluever explained that the freshmen are “responsible for leading culture, and [their] choices are inspiring others.”

Reflecting on the day-long retreat, senior  leader Brandon Ngyuen suggested that the message “would have been more effective if it came directly from students.” Regardless, the day made an impact on culture at Orono, and the class of 2023 is eager to implement their newfound ideas.